that would be enough

"there is freedom within, there is freedom without. try to catch the deluge in a paper cup, there's a battle ahead, many battles are lost. but you'll never see the end of the road while you're traveling with me." - don't dream it's over [crowded house]

"Is that all?" Maya shakes her head nervously, tightening the blanket over her shoulders "When he heard you coming, he starting yelling at me and kicking me, and then." She inhales sharply, looking at the floor. The officer looks up "Did he force himself-" Maya stops him "He only took my shirt off." she whispers, refusing to make eye-contact. Brendon's sitting outside the small room where Maya's talking to the police officers with his head in his hands. The door opens and Maya walks out, Brendon stands as she does and they walk out after finalising everything with the police officers. Maya shies away from Brendon the entire time, she just can't help but feel like he's disappointed and ashamed of her, and that she can't trust him.

"Maya, you-" He begins, but she bursts into tears. He swears under his breath, pulling the car off the road and holding his arms out. She hesitates before leaning over, hugging him carefully. He pulls her into his lap, comforting her as best he can. It takes a while for her to relax. Leaning her head on her dad, her real dad, her dad who cares about her, and loves her, and would never hurt her. Brendon sighs softly "Can you tell me what happened kiddo?" he pushes her somewhat matted hair off her face as she sniffs, nodding "They dragged me into the house and he was there." Brendon frowns "Who was he?" Maya swallows "Biological. I don't even know his name." Brendon nods, hugging her tightly but cautiously as she continues "And then they threw me in this room with a bowl of water and a blanket, and I fell asleep in there. He said I was asleep for days, and that you and mom didn't love me. And you didn't care about me." she's fighting tears again "And then he found out the police were coming and he said that I didn't understand what I'd done, and that I was a skanky bitch. And then, that was when he-" Brendon nods, stopping her from talking anymore, she's shaking in his arms, and she'd barely stumbled through her sentences. They stay, Brendon hugging his daughter on the side of the road, for a long time. She falls asleep in his arms, and he carefully moves her across to the passenger seat as he starts the car again.  

Sarah and Amelia are both asleep when Brendon carries Maya into the house. He places her carefully in a chair, crouching in-front of his daughter to wipe the blood covering her arms and stomach from the bruises and scratches. She reaches out to hold her dad's hand when he picks her up again, carrying her to her bedroom and placing her in her bed, gently pulling the blankets over her "Sleep tight kiddo."

Maya wakes up at midday, Brendon and Sarah check on her several times throughout the morning, only finding her asleep each time. When she finally trudges down the stairs, yawning, she's met with a hug from Sarah, that she quickly returns before hugging Amelia and then Brendon. They spend most of their day on the sofa, relaxed, yet Maya can't shake the feeling that they don't really care. Sarah gently hugs her "I love you May." She smiles somewhat sadly and Maya nods "I love you too mom."

Pete arrives quietly, which doesn't really surprise them. He walks in slowly, before picking Maya up and hugging her. She hugs him back, realising how lucky she was to have the family that she does. Pete, one of the first of Brendon's friends that she met, is like her older brother, uncle, and somewhat of a father figure all rolled into one. Pete holds onto the small girl in his arms, hoping just like Brendon that they'll all be okay when this is over. Gerard arrives later that day, looking a little shaken before he explains "I just flew in from New York, as soon as I heard I booked the flight. The Xanax hasn't really worn off yet." He smiles nervously, hugging Maya as Pete did hours before.  

Ryan knocks on the door some time after six, and as the person who was there when she was in hospital, she's easily comforted by his hug "Ryan," Brendon smiles as Ryan pulls the door shut behind him, Ryan grins back "Brendon. How're you guys holding up?" his face becomes concerned and Maya throws her arms back around him, remaining silent. Brendon nods in reply to Maya's response "We've been better." Ryan nods, and before either of the men realised, Maya was falling asleep while hugging Ryan. Brendon laughs softly "She does that sometimes, especially after something tough happens." he frowns, Sarah walks in "Ryan, I'm so glad you're here, you two need to come out and distract Pete, he's trying to break into the studio, god knows why I think he's bored." Brendon rolls his eyes, pushing Ryan towards the noise of Pete and Amelia laughing as he takes Maya from Ryan's arms. Sarah follows Ryan as Brendon carries Maya upstairs to her bedroom.  

When she wakes up it's silent downstairs, she rolls over carefully, picking her phone up to check what the time is. The screen reads 3:24 am, as well as a snapchat from pete. It's a handwritten note on his story, addressed to Bronx and Saint. The same note appears in a snapchat to her from pete, except he's written Maya and Amelia on it as well. 

bronx & saint & maya & amelia

i believe that the world at it's core is a good place. it is somewhere you should explore. wander. don't cave into fear. speak out when you see injustice. judge people by their actions not their race, creed or gender. be brave for those who can't be. know that some wounds heal by hiking in the woods or laughing with a good friend - some wounds however will only heal with time. there will be obstacles on your journey - how you respond to them will define who you are - whether you crumble to them or are carved into greatness. listen to people who are different than you. be silly. find peace between the moments. let your heart guide you when nothing else will.

above all don't be afraid of the dark - know that it is only dark until you cast your light on it. remember the world is you and you are the world. it is your job to find the good in it.

love always, dad/uncle pete/just pete   

a/n: gosh this chapter took too long i'm really sorry kids anyway i hope you like it !

grace x