growing up

"i found my heart and broke it here, made friends and lost them through the years. and i've not seen the roaring fields in so long, i know i've grown. and i can't wait to go home." - castle on the hill [ed sheeran] a/n: you really should listen to this while you're reading if you can 

"You ready?" 

"I think so."

"It's cool to be nervous kiddo."

"Yeah, I just-"

"I know you can do this. Believe me, I've seen you conquer so many things Maya. You've overcome challenge after challenge. This isn't any different. If anything it's easier. I'm right here with you, the whole time. Mom's here, Amelia's here. You're going to be great, not even that," 

"You're going to be fucking amazing."

"I love you dad."

"I love you too kiddo. You're gonna smash it." She can tell Brendon's standing next to her, it's not just the hand on her shoulder, but she can tell. He has an air about him when he's on stage. Everyone can tell. 

Brendon Urie can hold an audience of 20 thousand in the palm of his hand like it's nothing.

"So what's your favorite thing to do while you're home? Obviously your family's grown a fair bit in the past year and a bit." Brendon laughed, glancing at the ceiling "Easy. Spending time with my daughters and my wife. They're the best part of everything, and it's a dream taking my girls on tour with me, I'm so glad that they share the passion for live music that I have for so long."

The lights are still dim as they play the song. It's not the usual show starter, but it's not a usual show "Back to the street where we began, feeling as good as lovers can, you know. Well, now we're feeling so good." The lights stay dim, enough to show the band, but not enough to make out their faces to the sold out crowd of Madison Square Garden. Maya's nerves grow a little, and her fingers slip on the bass. Brendon wraps his arm around her shoulders as Ryan takes over singing for a few lines. He pulls the mic away from his face, kissing her forehead "You're doing great. You're almost half way through the song." He hugs her as she plays, Dallon asks for his bass to be turned up a little to compensate, and Maya mumbles a thanks into the dead mic. 

"What's the best thing about being a dad?" Brendon only laughed again "That one's tough. It's odd because, Mel's always been around as long as Maya came into our lives. They're best friends, and honestly Amelia was part of the missing piece of our--and when I say our I mean myself and Sarah--but our lives that Maya helped fill. They're a package deal. You don't get one without the other, and I think it's been that way since the start. But I think the best part about being a dad is seeing them grow. Even if they're not little kids, which we've gotten a lot of criticism for, because they weren't four or five when we they became part of our lives, but I don't think a lot of people realise how much they still learn when they're in that age group because they're placed in all sorts of new environments. Especially with our kind of lifestyle." 

Brendon pulls Maya back up the stage to the grand piano near the drum kit behind them, and holds one arm around Maya, his other hand resting on Amelia's shoulder. He switches to the body mic taped along his jaw "Your eyes are the size of the moon, you could 'cause you can so you do. We're feeling so good, just the way that we do, when it's nine in the afternoon." Ryan smiles back up at him, and Brendon nods back, grinning. 

"The best part of being a dad is still doing my job but it being something I can share with them, and they love it too. I think teaching them that you can do what you love, and that be your career and your job, teaching them it's okay to pursue what you love and follow your heart, that's the best thing Sarah and I could ever give them."