everyone's a passenger tonight

"just another accidental on the freeway of this life. we'll drive on, and on, and i'll remember this night when you're gone." - surrender the night [my chemical romance]

Gerard's the first to get there, and he's directed to Maya's room. She's talking quietly to Ryan when he arrives. Ryan looks up tiredly, and Gerard smiles sadly "You can go have a break if you want. Get something to eat." Ryan nods thankfully, saying goodbye to Maya before he leaves. Gerard takes Ryan's place sitting next to Maya, and shakes his head "Space girl, what are we going to do with you." He jokes, Maya manages a smile and Gerard takes her hand "He'll be okay. I promise. You've just gotta focus on yourself getting better for now. Okay?" Maya nods tearily before squeezing Gerard's hand "Can you sing for me?" she asks in a small voice. He nods "Of course." He thinks for a moment "Everyone's a passenger tonight, just another accidental on the freeway of this life. We'll drive on, and on, and on, and on. We'll drive on, and on, and I'll remember this night when you're gone. You surrender your heart, I surrender every dream, every weapon you've got, every secret that I keep. You can fight this all you want, but tonight belongs to me." She closes her eyes, listening carefully and trying to block out the constant hum of the monitors surrounding her as Gerard sings "Sparks against the railing, distant phantoms wailing. Through the windshield sailing, with these airbags failing. Now, you surrender your heart. I surrender every dream. Every weapon you've got. Every secret that I keep. You can fight this all you want, but tonight belongs to me."

Brendon doesn't know where he is. He can hear people talking, see shadows cross his black and hazy vision, and most frighteningly of all he can hear is hospital monitors, whirring and beeping. He can hear people yelling that someone's flatlining. And the voices are so close yet so far away that he's forced to desperately hope that  it's not his heart failing.

Sarah holds Amelia's hand tightly, waiting for the doctor to come back in and tell them about Brendon "Maya doesn't know." she mumbles, looking at the floor. Amelia only nods again. Sarah's quick to stand when the same doctor who had been looking after Maya enters. The doctor offers a sad smile "He's out of ICU. We're still not sure when he'll wake up, but you're free to visit him now." Sarah nods "Thank you." Amelia hugs her. Sarah pauses as she lets go of the hug. Amelia shrugs "Go see him. I'll be okay." Sarah nods again, kissing her forehead before she leaves.

Brendon's bruised and beaten when she enters. His breathing is quiet, and he seems peaceful if she can ignore the wires and monitors surrounding his body. She takes the seat by his bed, like she has in the two previous rooms, and takes his hand "Hey Bren." She talks softly, even though he's unconscious "You got pretty beaten up. The uh, the other car hit your side of the windshield and uh, the steering wheel hit you. Amelia's okay. Maya's fine, her leg's broken. But she'll be okay." Sarah pauses "They don't know when you'll wake up. Which I guess is okay. Things could be worse. We'll be okay." She's quiet for a while, doctors coming in every so often to check his vitals. This isn't ideal. None of it is. But they can live with it for now, and the important part is that they're alive to do that. 

The next morning they let Amelia go to see Maya, who's still tired, but mostly okay. Amelia sits in the chair next to Maya's bed while her discharge papers are signed by Sarah "How're you feeling?" Maya asks, blinking slowly as Sarah re-enters "Okay. Better today." Amelia replies as Sarah sits down. Maya rolls over slightly "How's dad?" Sarah nods "Stable. Not much's changed yet. They're expecting an increase in brain activity tomorrow, and if that's right then it'll mean he'll wake up soon." Amelia nods, leaning back in her chair. Sarah sighs "It's going to be a long week. I've gotta sort things out with the label, there's things to sort out with school too. You guys might not be able to go back before spring break." Maya mumbles "yeah" as a reply before falling asleep again.

a/n: this is so very very short sorry but it is a double update woo + see you guys in a few days ! wish me luck kids

grace x