in these coming years

"we're all not here for nothing, and we're bored with looking good. we gotta be starting something, would you change it if you could?" - vegas light [panic! at the disco]

Maya's rushed into emergency, and Brendon runs behind her until he's stopped by both a nurse and Sarah "Sir, we can't let you through." Brendon's still crying, and so is Sarah as she tries to drag him away from the doors "I can't leave her again." He speaks softly as Sarah pulls him away. They're left in the waiting room as the doors slam. They don't move from each other, holding tightly onto the other. They don't want to move, they don't want to think, they don't want to look at any part of the hospital that only confirms what's happened. Sarah sniffs, it's been hours "I should call Pete." She mumbles. Brendon nods "Do you want me to text him?" Sarah nods, biting her lip and hugging Brendon. 

brendon: we're at the hospital. maya tried to od. we've been here for almost three hours, she's in emergency. still no news.

pete: we're on our way.

Brendon sighs, holding Sarah tightly. He doesn't understand, Maya had been telling them when she had bad days, but they were become less and less frequent. He knew the obvious thing was that she'd started to give up again, and she'd felt that it was useless to tell them. But he still didn't understand why she'd overdose, after florida, and the situation with Miles, he thought she'd know that he was always there for her to talk to. 

Pete rushes through the sliding doors, Meagan following him, wearing the same worried expression. Brendon offers a smile but fails, resting his head in his hands "I just don't get it. She'd been getting better, and now-" Pete shakes his head, sitting next to Brendon "It's not your fault man." he pauses "How much did she take?" Brendon shrugs "She was holding an empty bottle. That's all I know." Pete doesn't reply "She'll be okay. Whatever she took-" Pete's voice falters, as does his hopeful attitude. He stops for a moment "She's probably had her stomach pumped." Brendon nods slowly, still hugging Sarah as a doctor walks through the emergency ward doors "Urie?" He asks, both Sarah and Brendon stand quickly walking towards him "That's us." Brendon says slowly, afraid of what might come next "It's good news, Maya's stable, and we pumped her stomach. We're almost certain that everything she took's gone." He declares, a wave of relief washes over both Brendon and Sarah, Brendon squeezes Sarah hand comfortingly as the doctor continues to talk "But she'll need to stay overnight, maybe for a few more days while we make sure everything's out of her system. Depending on how her blood-tests look she might be staying for a few days." Sarah nods "Can we see her?" she asks hopefully, the doctor nods "I'll get someone to take you to her, any other relations here can come as well if she wants to see them. She's just woken up, and she's still a little drowsy. Wait here." the pair nod, before waving Meagan and Pete over. 

She's tired, and still fading in and out of consciousness. Brendon sits next to the bed with Sarah "Hey kiddo." She blinks slowly "I'm sorry." She whispers, her words making the oxygen mask fog up. He shakes his head, taking her small hand in his "It's okay. You don't need to apologize for anything." He speaks quietly, she nods. She looks to her mom "Hi May." Sarah smiles gently, Maya tries to smile back "I'm really sorry mom." Maya mumbles, closing her eyes for a moment. Sarah shakes her head as well "You haven't done anything you need to apologize for." Maya nods again. Brendon's head rests in his hands as Maya holds tightly onto Sarah. Maya knows she has to apologize, but she knows they won't let her. Brendon doesn't want her thinking she's in any kind of trouble, he only wants her to know that he'll love her no matter what.

They sit with her for hours, nurses coming in every hour to check her vitals. Sarah's almost asleep on Brendon's shoulder and Meagan offers her to crash at their place "Are you staying?" she asks, exhausted. Brendon nods and kisses her before she leaves with Meagan and Pete.

"Dad?" Maya mumbles, he takes her hand again "Yeah, I'm here." She nods "Where's mom?" Brendon shakes his head "She's staying with Pete and Meagan tonight, it's almost midnight kiddo." She's silent for a while "Can you sing for me?" He nods "Yeah, of course. What'd you want me to sing?" Maya shrugs slowly, like it's taking all the effort she has, Brendon thinks for a moment "I wrote this one for your mom." He smiles softly before humming "Whether near or far, I am always yours. Any change in time, we are young again. Lay us down, we're in love. Lay us down, we're in love." he reaches over, brushing her hair off her face, she blinks up at him and he can't help but feel like he hasn't done enough to protect her. To protect her from the kids at school, to protect her from the classic alcohol, drugs and rock'n'roll stereotypes, to protect her from everything and anything. He feels like he's failed her, and that he hasn't been there often enough to keep her safe. And she knows her parents are going to blame themselves for the fact that she's lying in a hospital bed. She knows it's her fault, and she feels so, so guilty that they're going to beat themselves up about it when it's her doing "In these coming years, many things will change. But the way I feel will remain the same. Lay us down. We're in love." He hums the end of the song as she closes her eyes, falling asleep.

a/n: this is very very short sorry + updates might become more regular like they were with impossible year because i'm finishing my last assessment rn + i have 19 days until summer hols kids get excited for so many chapters woo

grace x