Chapter 1

Edited. 

Aubrey Knight's POV:

I looked at myself in the floor length mirror with my two best friends, Jessie and Gina, standing by my side admiring their hard work. My long brown hair were in a beautiful bun along with  blue eye shadow and pink lipstick. I was wearing a royal blue knee high dress with matching high heels, silver clutch and silver accessories.

Why am I so dressed up? Well, tonight is the town's masquerade ball. Since we live in a small town such functions are held occasionally here. It's a social event held by the mayor, and anyone of all ages can attend. 

"We look so hot," Jessie said whilst twirling around in her copper coloured dress.

"Hell yeah," Gina replied whilst finishing attaching her earring. 

I laughed at them. Jessie, Gina and I have been friend since first grade, so when they said they were coming over to my house to get ready for the ball I wasn't too surprised, but rather content with the idea.

"Aubrey, come downstairs with your friends, we are leaving in five minutes." My mom yelled from the dining room, as I added the final touches to my face. 

We quickly put on our mask and went downstairs to the living room where my mom was straightening her long red dress.

"Looking beautiful, girls," She said, smiling at us. We returned that smile and headed for the car.

After driving for half an hour the car stopped in front of a beautifully decorated mansion. There were roses on both sides of the entrance and there were lanterns illuminating the way to the front door. It looked stunning.

We got out of the car and made our way to the entrance. My mother had her arm locked in my fathers elbow walking gracefully, whereas Jessie, Gina and I were walking behind them talking and laughing.

"This mask is so itchy! I doubt I'll even last an hour with this ridiculous thing on." Jessie muttered whilst fixing her mask which caused me to chuckle.

We entered the mansion; I noticed it looked more like a ball room with its tables in the corners and a huge area in the middle for dancing.

Jessie and Gina abandoned me as soon as we entered and were dancing with their boyfriends whilst I sat alone in the corner playing mini rush on my phone... the joy.

Suddenly I felt someone staring holes at the back of my head. I turn around to see a boy wearing a black mask accompanied with a black suit. He had black hair and grey eyes which were currently checking me out.

I roll my eyes and continue playing on my phone as he smirks and made his way to the chair opposing mine.

I continue ignoring him until somebody suddenly snatches my phone away from my tight grip.

"You know it's rude to ignore someone." He said whilst looking at my phone. His voice was deep and husky making me shiver inwardly.

"And it's rude to snatch things from others." I retorted whilst grasping back my phone from his hand and we slowly settle into an awkward silence.

"Why is it that a pretty girl like you is sitting all alone?" He asked after a few more minutes.

"My friends ditched me," I say,  pointing at Jessie and Gina which causes him to nod his head in understanding.

"So why are you here?" I ask whilst taking my mask off.

"Business." He replies shortly.

"Oh, well then shouldn't you be talking to people who are way more important than me?" I ask.

He shrugs and then replies, "Already have."

"What kind of business do you do?" I ask out of curiosity. I mean he looked successful but he was very young at the same time.

"Someone asks a lot of questions." He says causing me to blush.

He continues his intense stare and then suddenly asks, "Do you want to dance?"

I think it over for a few minutes then reply, "Sure, I guess."

I wear the mask again as he takes hold of my hand and leads me to the dance floor. I place my hands behind his neck whilst he places his on my waist. I notice that both of his hands are  tattooed as well as his collar bone. Truth be told he looked pretty scary but we should never judge a book by its cover. Right?

After slow dancing for a few minutes we go and sit down.

"Thank you for the dance," I say looking up at him through my heavily coated lashes.

"It was my pleasure." He replies and continues to stare at me. I was starting to feel extremely uncomfortable under his intense gaze. Something about him was quite extraordinary and not in a good way if I may add, but whatever it was I just couldn't seem to plant my finger on it.

Suddenly his phone starts ringing. He checks the caller I.D and then gets up from his seat abruptly.

"I should be leaving, it was really nice meeting you..." he says, though he doesn't move away. Then it dawns on me he's waiting for me to finish the sentence.

"Aubrey," I say.

"See you soon, Aubrey." He says and begins to leave.

"Wait! You never told me your name." I desperately yell out after him.

"Its all over the news, darling." He says then removes his mask from his face and my breath gets caught in my throat and my eyes widen on their own accords.

I just met the infamous leader of the most ruthless gang in town, the famous Xavier Conners... shit! 

____________________________