Chapter 2

Edited. 

I groaned and rubbed my eyes as I shoved a spoon full of bubble gum ice cream into my mouth.

I was sitting in one of the booths in the ice cream parlour just staring into space. I had large bags under my eyes from the lack of sleep, thanks to all the over thinking.

My summer vacation had finally started and it had been a week since the masquerade ball.

I had been mentally cursing myself for not having the guts to go to the police when I had the chance but even if I had the guts, wouldn't it have been awkward? I mean, a girl walks into the police station and says 'I want to report that I met the Xavier Connor at the masquerade ball who had danced with me but then sped off in his ride to God knows where? I just hope you catch him because I'm a big sissy and I'm scared shitless.' That was certainly not going to happen.

I don't know if they would find him but I would find myself in a therapy ward at some hospital and that won't do any good to my fathers sky high reputation here.

After much thinking, I have finally decided to forget what happened, to completely ignore it but no matter how hard I try I just can't erase the memory, not even a single detail, it's like it had been burned into my skin and was to remain there for the rest of my life.

I also have this feeling of being watched all the time which I think comes with this entire package. Lucky me, right?

A sigh escapes my lips as I got up and threw my ice cream away on the way out of the parlour. When I made my way home, it was 4:30 pm and I had spent most of the day outside, not wanting to be alone.

It was like someone was lurking in the corner, ready to pounce at me every time I went to have a shower or open the closet. It was a shit feeling.

My parents went on a business trip this morning for a month leaving me all alone, don't get me wrong if it was any other day I would be over the moon but because of the event that took place about a week ago, I was terrified, more than that I was scared out of my god damn mind!

You must be thinking I'm overreacting, but let me tell you, you wouldn't be in a much better condition than me if you found out that you met a cold hearted monster who kills innocent families and children and bombs places for a living just because he's bored! And that's on a good day... God no wonder he told me about his business.

I shake my head getting these thoughts out of my mind.

Think positive.

I was half way home when I heard a set of foot steps behind me. My heart beat quickened and a cold sweat started to run down my forehead. Soon my house came into sight but the sound of the footsteps became more audible. I took a few deep breaths before going along with my instincts.

1, 2, 3, run.

I broke out running to my house, I reached the front door and hurriedly went inside. I locked the door and pressed my back against it trying to catch my breath.

After a few minutes my breathing finally became even. I made my way towards the window and peeked out from the corner but no one was there.

I rubbed my eyes with the back of my hand and looked back outside again. Nothing.

Just paranoia, I convinced myself as I sighed with relief and laughed whole-heartedly.

I looked at my appearance in the living room mirror and the only thing I could say was I looked absolutely horrible. My hair was all messy and pointing out in all directions like a bird's nest and not to mention my clothes, which were drenched in sweat and was sticking to my body.