Chapter 7 Doctor Visit

Chapter seven

Bella's POV

The next morning I found myself in Dr. Edwards' office with Sherlock. I hadn't been here in months, I had been doing fine. "Bella," Dr. Edwards called. I looked to Sherlock; I would only ever go with her to her office if he came with me. I didn't trust anyone else. I would talk to her, but only if Sherlock was there.

"I'm right here Bella," Sherlock said taking one of my hands and placing his other hand on my back. I squeezed his hand and stood and followed her to her office. Sherlock stayed right next to me. Once seated in her office she started asking questions, "So Bella, I haven't seen you in six months. What brings you back here?"

"Last night she tried to stick her hands in some boiling water," Sherlock answered as I leaned into him.

"Bella, what brought this on?"

"I don't know, I didn't even know I was doing it till Sherlock stopped me and was taking me to the couch. I have no memory of fighting him or yelling at John like he said I did. I don't remember any of it."

"Have there been any changes in your life recently?"

"Her father moved in with us. Did I make a mistake? Was it wrong to do that?" Sherlock asked and I pressed myself closer to him.

"Not your fault," I answered. It wasn't Sherlock's fault I was messed up. He didn't leave me with my abuser, he saved me. He got me out. Thanks to him I was about to graduate and a week after that I would be working with Scotland Yard.

"It could have set her back or triggered some kind of memory. There's a lot there for her to sort through. It's going to take a long time for her to heal, but she is right, it wasn't your fault. Her father being under the same roof may not help things right away, but in the long run; bring out several underlying issues."

Sherlock's POV

Bella climbed into my lap. I wrapped my arm around her, she never did much talking here, not to Dr. Edwards anyway, but she would to me. She would answer the doctor's questions but she talked to me. At first, when she started to form this connection with me I didn't understand it but I knew I could understand her better than others. So I tried; now when I needed someone I went to her.

"What do I do to help her?" I asked.

"Stay with her, don't leave her alone with her father. She trusts only you. Being left alone with her father could cause several problems. If you have to keep her in your room at night so she feels safe then do so. Never leave her alone with her father," Dr. Edwards said.

Bella tucked herself further into me. "If I have to go to her classes with her I will. The first night she spent at 221B I could tell she felt safe for the first time in a long time. Most people don't feel safe around me, she does. She's given me something I never thought another living being could give me. I'll keep her safe, whatever it takes." Bella hugged me and kissed my cheek.

"Thank you, Sherlock, you know I'd do anything for you." I hugged her back and gave her a smile.

"I know Bella and I'm glad that I have such a good friend."

"Same here," Bella replied. I never thought I would have a best friend and now I had one. I had had plans for catching a killer backfire and she ran them down to get me back. She would run after cars and beat them in a race. She knew every shortcut in the city. She didn't always sleep so she scouted the city.

"Call if any further problems arise, Bella, stay with Sherlock. He'll be able to notice when you need him or about to do something that could cause harm. Keep up with your journal." We left shortly after that. We got back to the flat and Bella grabbed her bag and went straight to my room as John came down the stairs. I would have to deal with him.

"Bella!" John called as she closed my door.

"John let her be!" I said moving to block the door.

"She's my daughter!"

"If you're going to be in the room with her I have to be there! Orders from her doctor! Let her study for her exams, let her be for now."

"I should know how to make my daughter feel better," John said.

I sighed; I was going to have to give him the whole story. "The truth of the matter is you don't," I said sternly. I turned to my door and opened it, I stuck my head, "Bella, can I tell John everything since you've been here?"

"Yeah, that would probably be best. I'll take the fire escape to get to work tonight. Thanks for everything Lock," Bella replied. I nodded and took John to the living room and explained everything. He finally seemed to realize that there was a lot of damage there and he couldn't fix it. He was one of the causes of her problems and he hadn't been there, she ran and found me. He agreed to leave Bella alone and to stay away from her unless I was in the room.