Chapter 15 Shut Down

Chapter 15

"Bella! Bella!" I could faintly hear Sherlock calling. It sounded like I was underwater and he was a long ways away. I felt weightless and numb; I couldn't feel my own body. I couldn't even find myself to blink or talk to him. "Bella!" Sherlock called, he was louder this time. I didn't know if he was shouting or I was just coming to. "Bella!" I wanted to respond to him but couldn't. I heard the sirens; I knew he had called an ambulance to get me to the hospital.

"Bella, hold on. Just hold on, stay with me," I heard Sherlock say as several footsteps came up the stairs. I wanted to respond to him but I couldn't move. I felt other hands on me and could hear other voices but they all blurred together. I still felt like I was underwater. I could tell I was being carried from the flat, something must be wrong if they were taking me to the hospital. "I'm going with her," I heard Sherlock say and I felt him take my hand.

Once at the hospital I could hear the machines that they used to run tests on me. "What's wrong with her?" I heard Sherlock ask as they pulled glass and pieces of wood from the window out of me. "Why can't she respond?"

"She is responding to you, look at her heart rate. Every time you take her hand or you speak her heart rate slows down, you calm her," the nurse said. She was right.

"But why can't she move or say anything?" Sherlock was worried. I wanted to react and I could feel my heart start to speed up. I would be fine; he didn't need to stress himself out.

"The doctors are working on it. She hit her head pretty hard, but look, she's worried about you," I heard the nurse say. I felt my finger twitch; I was starting to come too.

"Bella?" Sherlock asked and I tried to move again. This is how my night went till I was finally able to sit up. "Bella, what the hell happened?" Sherlock asked coming over to me and pulling me close.

"I shut down, like a computer; it's how I protected myself when living with Harry. I was injured so my body shut down, I fought it; that made it take longer to come out of it. I'm okay Sherlock, just sore. What the hell happened anyway?"

"An explosion, police seem to think it was a gas leak," Sherlock said. After a while I was cleared to go home, thank god. Once home both of us slept, if the police were wrong then the shit would hit the fan and we would be pulled in and there had been a lot of stuff going on recently so no doubt other people would want Sherlock's help. There was no rest for the weary, ever. I wish Sherlock would get paid more for his jobs, he had to pay for the bullets in the wall and now the windows had been blown out but thankfully I didn't have a huge medical bill. Oh joy!