Chapter 22 Christmas

A/N: Sorry for the long wait. I was so stressed about season four I had to wait for it on netflix before I could write more of any Sherlock. I was so worried that Sherlock wasn't going to make through the season from the clips that I had seen. Thanks for all the comments, follows, votes, and adding to lists. For any mistakes that have been pointed out I'll do my best to get them corrected soon. I'll also be editing chapters when I get this done if not before so all mistakes will be fixed. Thank you.

Chapter 22

I stayed with Sherlock when we got him home. Needless to say that come morning Mycroft was less than pleased. "You sent us after someone who had trained killers after her, a heads up would have been nice," I said rather annoyed with the man who I didn't quite trust but still looked to as a teacher.

"Yes that would have been Mycroft. They were going to kill my daughter for the code to the safe," John said.

"That's what Americans do, they do whatever it takes to be all they can be, damn the costs. That's what they're taught John, not so different from the rest of world when we forget that we aren't alone in the world. We all pay the price." Just then Sherlock's phone made a funny noise.

"Shame on you Mycroft, sending your little brother into danger like that; you should be ashamed of yourself. Family is all we have in the end," Mrs. Hudson said placing food in front of Sherlock.

"Shut up Mrs. Hudson," Mycroft said causing us all to yell at him. He stared at us for a few moments, assessing us. "Apologizes," he said.

"Thank you," Mrs. Hudson said starting to leave the room.

"But do in fact shut up," Sherlock said as his phone made another sound that I hadn't heard before.

"Can I wring her neck?" I asked no one in particular and not expecting an answer. I knew who had added their number and personalized their text alert noise on his phone. Irene had had his coat the other day; she must have returned it last night. I paid little attention as Mycroft left the room taking a call. I stole some food off of Sherlock's plate; we often shared a plate, neither of us eating much in the morning if at all.

"You will drop this Sherlock," Mycroft said coming back into the room.

"She has something far more dangerous than comprising pictures of individuals on her phone. What does she have that the rest of the world would be interested in?" I asked coming to stand in front of Mycroft. I may not trust him but I wasn't afraid of him.

"You'll drop this as well, it's no longer your concern," Mycroft said.

"Having a gun to the back of my head makes it my concern. Why were those CIA-trained killers after her phone? What does she know that's worth killing for?" I asked as Sherlock got into a stare-down with his older brother.

"Stay out of it, all of you," Mycroft said leaving. I returned to my usual work with Scotland Yard, helping Sherlock from time to time. It was months before I would think of Irene again. Soon enough winter came around and I was helping Mrs. Hudson decorate the flat for Christmas. I had done all my shopping months ago. I found an old set of doctors' tools that were collectible items real cheap at a thrift store. The owner had no idea of their value. John would like those.

For Mrs. Hudson, I got a new tea set and some new tea flavors from all around the world. Lestrade, well I solved a case he had been trying to solve for the past ten years. I wrapped everything up so all he had to do was arrest the guy. I even put a bow on the file. For Mycroft, I found a book written in Ancient Greek that told of Greek mythology. He wouldn't be interested in the mythology but the language. For Molly I got a book about reading people, she was always asking me about body language so I got her book filled with my notes on the subject. It was my book from school.