Chapter 4

*after practice*

I sat up in my bedroom with Eliza, sipping hot chocolate and watching Netflix. Now that the summer was over, practices were extended past their usual hours. Usually, when Eliza came over after practice, she just stayed the night. And Peyton would have done the same thing too, if she was still my friend.

My phone beeped with a text message. My guess was that it was either Peyton or Matt with some lame apology.

Hey Sums. I know you're mad at me, but if you could just call and let me explain... Please Summer. I miss you so much. You have to know that this wasn't intended. This wasn't to make you jealous or hurt or whatever you're feeling right now, it was an honest mistake. And accident. Please Sums I'm begging you. Love always, Matty

For a second, I almost thought of calling him. But there was still no text in my inbox from Peyton apologizing, so how could I really trust that it was a mistake? Maybe Peyton really meant to kiss him.

I flopped out on my bed next to Eliza and showed her the text message.

"Maybe you should hear him out Summer. And then talk to Peyton and get her side of the story, and compare the two to see if they're telling the truth. It's worth a shot." Eliza suggested, placing her cup of hot cocoa on the bedside table.

"Okay. I'll talk to Matt tomorrow or something." I smiled at her and nestled down underneath the comforter. The last thing I remember was closing my eyes and drifting off to a deep sleep.

-----------------

The next morning, Eliza and I went downstairs to get some breakfast. There was a warm stack of pancakes on the counter with scrambled eggs and crispy bacon next to it. Mom was in the living room watching TV under the big down comforter I had gotten her for Christmas last year.

"This looks amazing," Eliza said, sliding into a seat and digging in. She helped herself to four heaping pancakes and some strips of bacon. I took the plate of scrambled eggs and doused them in salt and pepper.

"Want some milk girls?" My mom asked, opening the refrigerator to reveal cartons of orange juice and gallons of milk.

"Yes please," Eliza replied, smiling. My mom grabbed two glasses from the cabinet and filled them each to the brim with milk. Then she handed them to us and took the empty plate that was once filled with steaming pancakes.

After breakfast, Eliza and I went back upstairs to change out of our pajamas. I selected a cable knit sweater and some dark skinny jeans. Then I side-braided my hair and put in a floral headband.

Eliza was wearing black leggings and a long purple sweater. We each threw on a pair of small-heeled combat boots and then decided to go for a walk down to the park at the end of my road.