Chapter 30

At the Nike outlet, there were tons of posters strung along the neon walls for inspiration. One of the models reminded me of Jamie Andries- she had tanned and toned abs, and a big, white smile. Her muscles were also taunt and tight, and you could see them even though she wasn't flexing.

When I turned away from the poster, Peyton and Eliza had already disappeared around the corner and were gazing in awe at a display of sports bras. I giggled to myself, and then walked over to them. Eliza was holding up a royal blue sports bra with a white swoosh and practically jumping up and down.

"This is perfect! With black Nike Pros it would represent Cheer Athletics so well!" Peyton was laughing, and clutching her stomach. Eliza literally looked like she was in heaven right now. She searched the display more, and pulled out a turquoise sports bra. "You can never have enough blue!" She said, disappearing to the rack of Nike Pros.

Peyton and I followed her lead after we had each grabbed a couple of sports bras ourselves. In the Nike Pro section, I discovered a pair of purple, blue, and white patterned shorts that reminded me of galaxy print, so I had to have them. Then I also found a pair of checkered black ones with a tropical-themed waist band that was from the new three inch collection. I took both and sling them over my arm, along with the sports bras.

Then, a gorgeous pair of Nike Pros caught my eye. They were lilac purple with a dark band. The color was absolutely gorgeous! But when Peyton saw me eyeing them, she frowned.

"What's wrong, Pey?" I asked, turning to look at her in the eye. She shrugged and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"It's just that..." She looked away. "Those were Jamie's lucky shorts. She had the exact same pair that she wore every year to tryouts. It's not the same if you wear them..." My mouth dropped, and I quickly threw the shorts back on the rack.

"I'm really sorry, Peyton-" I started, reaching a hand out to give her a hug. She turned away and walked over to the Nike Elites. Eliza came up to me a moment later and asked,

"What was that all about?" I shrugged.

"I just picked up this adorable pair of Nike Pros," I handed her the shorts, "and she got all emotional and left. I don't understand! Didn't Peyton totally despise Jamie ten minutes ago? Like, what changed?" Eliza shook her head.

"I have no clue. But let's go grab some Nike Elites and then check out." I nodded and followed her over to the shelf of socks. There was tons of patterns-from black, to red, to blue, to the breast cancer line. I selected a light pink pair and a dark pink pair with a white breast cancer symbol on them, and then added them to my pile.

Peyton had already grabbed a pair of breast cancer socks and a turquoise pair with lime green detailing. When she was done, she walked away without talking to us, and got in line for the register. Eliza and I exchanged looks. Weird...