Chapter 13

Matt and I crawled out of the foam pit, giggling the entire time. He pulled me over to the tumble track and demonstrated a standing handspring double.

"You're so good at tumbling, honey." I said to Matt as he finished his pass.

"Want some help?" He offered, brushing off his shorts. I nodded and let Matt spot me. He gently rested his hands on the center of my back and told me to throw my standing back handspring. I did as I was told, and landed perfectly in the center of the trampoline.

"Good job. Now, try throwing a standing double." I raised my eyebrows and looked at Matt like he was crazy.

"The trick is to be able to put them together," he insisted, demonstrating a perfect standing double with good air and form.

"Ugh, okay." I shivered, slurring my words with nervousness. I stepped backwards, bent my knees, and threw my standing double. To my surprise, I landed on my feet and successfully completed my task.

"Nice job, babe! See! All you need is confidence." He smiled and kissed my cheek. "Now try the pass together this time."

I walked over to the front of the tumble track and took a deep breath. Believe in yourself, Summer. You can do it. I thought, my arms trembling.

I closed my eyes and threw my handspring double. They flowed together, and I landed on my feet; exactly how Matt had.

"Nice job!" Matt engulfed me in a hug and kissed my nose. "I knew you could do it!" I smiled back at him and let him hold me there.

----------------------------------------------

Time passed and eventually, Matt decided to bring me home. I walked into the changing area and pulled my sweater and leggings on over my spandex and sports bra. I slipped on my combat boots and grabbed my belongings.

Matt was leaning on the front door and staring down at his cellphone with a frown. When he noticed me coming, he quickly tucked the phone in his pocket and plastered a smile on his face.

"Is something wrong, babe?" I asked, searching his face for any signs of concern. His smile said nothing, but his eyes showed worry and regret.

"Oh n-nothing." He said, taking my hand. "Now let's get you home."

I tried not to think about it on the ride to my house, but Matt still seemed shaky and cautious and I got the distinct feeling that something was wrong.