Chapter 7

After agreeing to meet at Starbucks, I called my mom and asked her to pick me up at the park. She, having reluctantly agreed, told me she would arrive in about five minutes.

Meanwhile, I collapsed on the bench and played a game on my cellphone. I tapped on my contacts, then scrolled down until I found "Peyton Mabry!😊😘". Then I backspaced the two emojis after her name and erased the explanation point. Now she was just "Peyton Mabry". Nobody special to me.

A car horn beeped and disrupted me from my thoughts. I turned around to see my mom's smiling face, and I eagerly jogged over to the car.

"Hi Sum!" Mom exclaimed as I climbed in on the passenger side.

"Hey Mom," I answered with a small smile. She turned the key in the ignition and started the car. Then she pulled out of our parking space and began towards home.

"So. How's the friends? The boyfriend? Life in general?" She asked with curiosity.

"Friends, eh. Boyfriend: looking up." Mom reached over and clasped my hand.

"Don't worry about it pumpkin. Peyton'll come around. And Matt dear, he really likes you." I blushed and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Wanna drop me off at Starbucks then so I can meet my lover?" I asked, laughing. Mom nodded and laughed a little bit herself.

"Of course hon. Anything for my baby girl,"

Heart to hearts such as this one with my mom were the ones that made our relationship so strong. I could always trust her and go to her for advice. Sometimes moms get nosy and annoying, but other times, they're better than your bestie at comforting you. And that's why I appreciated my mother so much.