Chapter 37

"Listen up, Cheetahs!" Coach yelled from his place in the front of the football team. I turned away from Matt to look at him, but I didn't let go of his hand.

"We're gonna start by warming up all of our stunts and baskets, which we can do here. Then after that, we'll move to tumbling and jumps on the rod. Then we'll do a few full-outs on the spring floor. Got it?" We all nodded with excitement as Coach yelled, "Load in! First stunt."

I walked over to my first stunt in the routine with Matt as one my bases. I felt so happy that I was finally able to trust him again! Usually, at practice, I was always worried that he would drop me because he was upset about our breakup. But now that we are officially back together, I don't have to worry about that. He'll take care of me more than ever.

Coach hit a button on the radio, and our music started blaring through the speakers. I loaded into my bases, and did a double up. Then I kicked into a needle and transitioned to a scale. I made sure to wink and smile here and there, because we got bonus points for facials, supposedly. At the end of all my body positions, I double downed, and landed gently in the arms of my bases.

"Great job. Let's go to the first basket, please." I moved to my basket group, who, unfortunately, Matt wasn't a part of. But my two bases were great, just the same. When the music played once more, I loaded in, and did my pike arch basket. I also had two kick double baskets during the routine, and a toe touch basket at the very end. I was proud to have so many baskets, because that meant that Coach admired them.

He stood with his arms folded and a stern, straight face. His lips were pursed tightly, as if to let no emotion show. We waited patiently to hear his reaction. I was pretty sure that my pike arch basket had been fine... But maybe he wasn't mad at me. It could have been somebody else.

"Jamie Andries! That was officially the worst basket toss I have ever seen from you. Ever! What happened?" The entire team turned to look at Jamie, and she seemed to cower behind her bases, one of them being Matt.

"Coach-" She started, adjusting her bow.

"No, listen to me, Jamie. Every since that whole embarrassing fiasco in the beginning of the season, that I'm going to politely choose not to mention, your level five skills have been slowing turning into level four skills. You stopped throwing certain tumbling passes, you're losing your flexibility, and you definitely don't look as confident. Now tell me, honestly. What happened?"

Jamie adjusted her sports bra and scowled. She extended her finger out, until I realized that it was pointing at me. "It's all her fault. Summer. She's being ruining my cheerleading career."