Chapter 16

After making up with Eliza and Peyton, I couldn't stop smiling. There were so many things I had missed about them. I forgot about the way Eliza's eyes twinkled when she was laughing, or the way Peyton could cheer me up with a funny movie and a jumbo bag of popcorn and candy.

What I missed most though, was simply cheering with them. Practices were terrible when Peyton would just look through me like I wasn't there. And then Eliza was mad too, so I wouldn't have any friends to talk to.

But now, the three of us were best buds again and as close as ever. Eliza and Peyton were going to come over before practice and get ready with me. Then we would all drive to the gym together in my car and listen to cheer music.

As I waited for them, I selected my cheer clothes from my bureau; a hot pink sports bra, Nike Pros, a rhinestone bow, and a blue "Claws Out, Call 'Em Out" t-shirt. Then I reached under my sink where I kept all my makeup and hair supplies and selected a teasing comb, hair spray, hair elastics, bobby pins, and my straightener.

The door bell rang as soon as I had finished plugging in the straightener. I practically skipped down the stairs with excitement and unlocked the front door for Eliza and Peyton.

"Hey!" Peyton said, wrapping me in a hug.

"I brought candy!" Eliza giggled, thrusting her bag at me. I took it and led the girls upstairs to my bedroom.

"It smells like burning hair," Peyton commented, wrinkling her nose in disgust.

"Pain is beauty!" I replied back. "I thought you guys would wanna go all out with big poofs and lots of makeup.... Just like competition day."