Chapter 26

A weathered, wooden sign to the left of the shack read, "Jerome's Beachside Snacks & Drinks" and was decorated with faded red and blue paint. I reached into the back pocket of my shorts and pulled out my wallet.

"Snacks are on me, guys," I said, strolling to the order window. A gorgeous blue-eyed, brown-haired boy smiled and asked what I would like to order today. "Hmm," I started, glancing at the menu above. "How about three chocolate milkshakes, a large order of pier fries, and a jumbo-sized fried dough." The boy laughed and called out the order.

"You number is eighteen. When you hear it being called, your food is ready. You guys can wait at one of the picnic tables over there." I followed his outstretched finger to a chipped picnic table that was pushed against a rope. The rope kept away spectators from the sand dunes and endangered animals. "Hey, Jamie," The boy called over his shoulder, "Put it an extra order of pier fries. It's on me," and then he winked and disappeared into the kitchen.

Peyton snatched the order ticket off the counter and led us in the direction of the tables. "Did anyone else notice how he said Jamie?" She giggled, brushing a lock of blonde hair behind her ears. "It was kind of a coincidence." She sat down on the stool and propped her elbows up onto the table.

"Yeah...." I trailed off, staring into the distant ocean. "It was almost like...." Then an idea came to me. Jamie. Jamie Andries was working at the snack shop with the cutie at the order window. And she was going to deliver our food.

Almost instantly, Eliza and Peyton gasped. "Jamie Andries!" They squealed, their mouths forming into tiny O's. I rolled my eyes at the sound of her name and adjusted the beach umbrella above our heads.

"I can't even believe it. Out of all the beaches in Texas, Jamie chose Galveston too." I sighed and bit my lip. I couldn't wait to see the look on her face when she delivered our food-plus the extra fries-from her adorable boyfriend at this adorable beach in the adorable state of frickin' Texas. What are the odds?