Ch. 7 ~ Hermione's Old Time Turner

A/N: Yes, someone goes into the past. I thought it'd be a good twist, don't you? More will be up later. PLEASE comment. I want to know how good I'm doing, or horrible. I don't care. As long as I get encouragement or constructive criticism. 

Chapter 7 : Hermione’s Old Time Turner. 

Fayette’s POV:

I was randomly looking into my drawers, to see how much space I had for my stuff. I had already asked Karkaroff and Dumbledore if I could stay inside Hogwarts with my new friends until I had to go back to Durmstrang. They both agreed, though Karkaroff doesn’t really have a choice, because he agrees with everything I want, just to please my parents. 

I looked inside my bedside table drawer and found a sort of necklace. It had the longest chain I’d ever seen. It was gold with a little hourglass as the charm. I brought it up close to eye level and started spinning it around. I had to admit, it was so fun! 

Suddenly, I felt a rush of wind around me, as I started to move backwards. I screamed in surprise. I landed outside on the grounds, just centimeters away from the Black Lake. I groaned at the impact. That would leave bruises in the morning. 

“Hey,” I heard a voice say. “Are you okay?”

I sat up and looked around. The grounds weren’t covered in the familiar brown, gold, and red leaves. Instead, the grounds were filled with a bit of frigid snow and frozen ice. 

“Somewhat,” I mumbled as the person helped me up. 

“I’m Remus Lupin,” he said. “Who are you? I haven’t seen you around before.”

Remus Lupin? I’ve heard that name before. It was mentioned by Harry and Mercury. Something about him being their Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. 

“Uh, yeah. Well, you see, that’s the thing. I might need to talk to Professor Dumbledore…” I said, still slightly confused. 

He nodded. “Sure.” He began to walk away. I followed. 

We walked through random hallways, up staircases, and through doorways. I was beginning to think we’d never get there. Remus was a fast walker, so by the time we’d reached a large gargoyle statue, I had a stitch in my side. 

“Fizzing Whizbees.” When Remus spoke the magic words (heehee, magic), the large gargoyle sprung aside, granting entrance to a stair case. 

“Dumbledore’s office is right up those steps. I’ll wait here. I sense that you might want to talk to him alone,” Remus said. 

I nodded. “Thanks, by the way.”

“No problem.”

I walked up the steps. After about 14, I made it to the top, only to face a large oak door. I knocked thrice. 

“Enter,” I heard a voice say. 

I opened the door that separated me from Dumbledore’s study. Inside, it was oval-shaped with a mahogany desk in the middle. The headmaster sat behind his desk, while there were two chairs in front of it. Dumbledore’s pet phoenix, Fawkes, squawked a greeting to me. 

“Hello,” the headmaster said merrily. “I don’t believe I’ve seen you here before.”

“Sir, that’s kind of why I’m here,” I said nervously. 

“Well then, take a seat!”

I sat in one of the cushioned chairs cautiously. Then I told him what happened. 

“I trust that you still have this necklace with you?” he asked. 

I nodded, and held it out to him. He took the long chain in his hands and studied it for a few moments. While he did, I sat fidgeting in my seat. 

“This is a time turner. Do you know what that is?”

“Kind of, sir. I know that it brings you back in time, but I didn’t know that this was one, sir,” I said. 

“Yes, well, it seems as though you’ve gone 14 years back in time, my dear,” Dumbledore said gravely. 

“What? No! I-I was supposed to watch the Triwizard Tournament this year! I was supposed to go to the Yule Ball, spend time with my new Hogwarts friends… I…” I couldn’t say anything else, as I was choking on tears. “Is there any way for me to get back?”

“At the moment, there isn’t. I’m sorry, miss. But it seems as though you’re stuck here.”

That brought my world crashing down. 

Dumbledore had asked me about my past. He thought that it was important that I change my name, so that no one would recognize my last name of Malfoy. We decided on Fayette Willow Grey. It worked, I guess. For now. 

Dumbledore also let me pick my own house for the time being. Of course, I picked Gryffindor. The headmaster then dismissed me, saying that I had the week to recover from the news, and not have to attend classes. He said that he would have someone show me around the school, and that he would figure out my schedule. 

I walked down the steps from his office. To my surprise, Remus was still there waiting for me, and I’d been in Dumbledore’s office for about two hours. He was standing in the same pose I’d left him in. He was acting as though I’d just left 5 minutes ago. 

“Are you okay?” he asked for the second time that day. He must have saw that tears stains down my face. 

I nodded numbly, swallowing hard. “Yeah, yeah. I’ll be fine.”

He started to lead me away. I didn’t really notice where we were going, as my eyes were still blurred by unshed tears. Was I ever going to see my brother again? The one that I teased and tormented constantly?

“You know,” Remus said. “You never told me your name.”

I sniffed and said, “Fayette Willow Grey.” 

Remus smiled. “I hope you don’t mind, but I’d like you to meet some friends of mine.”

“Great,” I smiled a bit.