The Obvious Game Plan

Ch. 10 The Obvious Game Plan

So now I had to compete in the lovely competition that could kill me. This is peachy, aye? Dumbledore and Mr. Crouch had explained the rules to us. It wasn’t much because we already knew most, though. 

I was currently in the Gryffindor common room. Everyone was celebrating. Everyone except for me. I slumped into one of the chairs beside the fire, shock just kicking in for a second time. Fred and George sat each on one of the armrests of the chair I was sitting in. They threw their arms about my shoulders. 

“Don’t look so down, Mere!” they said in perfect unison. “At least you get to compete!”

“At least you don’t have to risk your life for a lousy and foolish competition,” I replied miserably. 

They rolled their eyes and slapped the back of my head. “Get it together!” they yelled in sync.

“Pffft,” I huffed. “I am so together, glue is jealous.”

They rolled their eyes again while I stuck out my tongue. 

“Mercury!” Hermione yelled. “You better go to sleep! You need your rest for the competition!”

She was right. They weren’t even giving us a lot of time to prepare for the First Task. Only a couple of nights. I nodded. 

“Yeah!” I looked at the twins, hugging them goodnight. “’Night guys.”

The next few days were not enjoyable. It practically meant me being tortured by Snape in potions and training with Hermione for the Task. By the way, Hagrid had showed me what it was. Spectacular dragons. One for each of the champions. He explained that you had to get by one of the dragons and collect a golden egg. 

I practiced feverishly. Of course, I didn’t want to be dragon chow. I had no idea, though, what I was going to do. Hermione thought long and hard, so did I. We couldn’t come up with a single plan. 

“You’re good at flying, aren’t you?” Hermione asked suddenly. 

“Hmm. I don’t remember…” I said, sheepishly. 

“Well, why don’t you grab a broom and we’ll see!”

I nodded and ran out of the random classroom that we were in. I pelted down to the common room and nearly collided with George, who was on his way out the portrait hole. 

“Hey, Mere. What’s got you all rush-y?” he asked. 

“Um, well,” I panted from my run down a thousand stairs. “Can I borrow your broomstick?”

“Uh, sure?” he said it as though it were a question, unsure of why she would need his broomstick. “Accio Broomstick!”

His broomstick came soaring out of the boys’ dormitories and into my arms. 

“Thanks, George!” I called over my shoulder as I raced away. 

Turns out I was pretty awesome at flying. I had no idea. Well, if I did, I didn’t remember. Oh well. Though, Hermione and I came up with a game plan. 

1. Summon a broom from somewhere

2. Fly around

3. Distract the dragon from the egg

4. Get the egg

5. Do not die

I thought that it was a pretty good plan. 

A/N: Its a short, fun little chapter.