The Future

PLEASE READ AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END. IT WILL SORT OF GIVE A DESCRIPTION ON WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT IN THE STORY.

Chapter 17:

The Future

Mercury’s POV

Recap:

After a few moments, which felt like eternity to me, there were more thunderous claps. Then, a second cannon sounded, signaling that it was Viktor’s turn to go out in the arena. The same thing happened with him, as it did Fleur. 

Cheers erupted from the stands every now and then, making me wonder what the French toast was going on out there. When the final cheers dove down, there was a moment of silence. Then, the cheers picked back up. 

Then, the final cannon. Oh. Freaking. Snap. 

My Turn. 

I entered the arena. It was made of rock and rubble, so I hardly recognized it as the Quidditch Pitch. Large boulders were strewn around, probably for shelter against the sweltering breath of the dragons. My breathing hitched as I saw the Hungarian Horntail at the other side of the arena, staring at me through yellow eyes. Our gazes connected. It was sort of like we understood  one another. I tried to tell the mother dragon that I was only after the golden egg, the one that wasn’t even hers, and that this was all for some stupid competition. Apparently, the mother dragon didn’t get the memo. 

At break-neck speed, she lashed out at me with her spiked tail. I dodged behind a boulder at the last second, avoiding a large gash that was sure to come on my left side. 

“Accio Firebolt!” I yelled. Harry told me that I could borrow his broomstick for the task, as I didn’t have one. 

Nothing came. 

The Hungarian Horntail’s jaws opened, and I was staring right into it’s throat. I didn’t have any time to dodge the growing fireball. 

I was consumed in flames. But the funny thing? The funny thing was, was that it was just like getting consumed in the flames of Floo Powder. It didn’t hurt at all. 

Finally, I saw Harry’s Firebolt speeding towards me. The flames on  my skin died down as I hopped onto the moving broomstick and flying away from the dragon’s roaring jaws. I had no time to stop and consider why the fire wasn’t eating me alive. I had other priorities like getting the golden egg, or like, NOT DYING. 

I flew around for awhile, dodging when the dragon snapped at me. Then I flew behind it, and swooped down, picking up the egg. 

Wow. That was a lot easier than I thought it’d be. Now I’m all disappointed. 

I walked out of the arena with Charlie, the Twins and Ron’s brother, and to the judges table. I watched as Madame Maxime raised her wand. A large figure 8 came out of the top. 

“Not bad,” Charlie said. 

Next was Dumbledore. A lovely 9 came out in purple ribbon from his wand. 

After, Karkaroff. 4. 

“4? What’s he playing at? He gave Krum a 10!” Charlie said. 

Barty Crouch. 7. 

Ludo Bagman. 10.

“Not bad, Black,” Charlie said, patting me on the back. 

“Thanks,”  I said. 

After I’d gotten my points, I went to go find my friends. They were all sitting in the bleachers, but now coming down to greet me. 

“You did wonderfully, Mere!” George said, picking me up and spinning me around. 

I laughed loudly. “Thanks… Now put me down!”

A/N: Okay, I know that this was a horrible chapter, but I don’t have the book or movie to go by, and I never really liked the first task anyways. Now, I have the most epicest idea ever for the Christmas holidays, so please keep reading! In the next Future chapter, we’ll be sped up to the Christmas holidays because I couldn’t be stuffed writing all about how boring their classes and lives were. So I’ll fast forward it to a couple days before the Yule Ball.