Chapter 1 ● The Night They Met

Juan's POV

"What are you doing this week?" Felipe asks as I take another bite of my sandwich.

We were both sat on the outside part of the cafe he had invited me to for lunch. It was hot that day, the sun shining down on both of us, I looked over at my sunglasses on the table wondering if it'd be rude if I put them on again.

"Nothing much, the usual," I replied. "Work."

"But you can work from home right?" He went on.

"Yeah, I mean," I say after taking another bite. "I only go into the office a couple of times a month."

"Perfect," he nodded after taking a sip of his drink. "I was wondering if you would maybe want to, or could, dog sit Manolo for Meli and me."

"Tonight?" I ask.

"Tomorrow night," Felipe nodded. "Until next Sunday night."

"A week?" I sat back. "What's the occasion, Felipe?"

"I told you about the vacation we were gonna go on last month," he starts. "Remember how we had to postpone it? Well it's postponed for tomorrow."

"And you thought asking me last minute would be totally fine?" I chuckled.

"Come on bro," he laughed too.

"I know, I know," I gave in. "How could I say no to such a lavish apartment? Especially one that I haven't been invited to."

"It's been a couple of months," Felipe shook his head. "You didn't make it to the move in party."

"Well, now I'll be living there for a week," I agree to what he was asking.

"You're the best," he said before calling the waitress over. "One last favor?"

"What is it?"

"Drive us to the airport?"

○○○

"Don't give him any of your food," Melissa orders from the backseat of my car.

"I know, Meli," I give her a wave of my hand.

"No, you don't know because last time you gave him a piece-"

"Alright," Felipe intervenes when he makes it out the car. "Let's thank Juan for giving us a ride today and taking care of Manolo and our apartment this week."

"Thanks, Juan," Melissa finally says when she slams the car door shut. "I appreciate it, really," she says sincerely when she reaches the passenger window.

"My pleasure," I nod. "You two have fun. Don't forget about your homework, though," I take a jab at Melissa being six years younger than us.

"I won't!" She bites back as she walks away.

I say bye to Felipe and when he reaches his lovely girlfriend they share a sweet moment where he pushes some hair behind her ear before leaving a kiss on her forehead.

My envy got cut short when a car behind me started honking outrageously and I was reminded to get out of the terminal quickly.

○○○

"Manolo!" I shout after entering Felipe's apartment for the first time.

I pocket the keys right as the English bulldog reaches my feet excitedly.

"How are you doing?" I say in a voice as I take his face between my palms and leave kisses on his face and head.

I stand shortly after petting the dog for some more and I take the modern apartment in.