Chapter 16 ● The Night They Got Bad News

Antonella's POV

I held the mustache prop up on Juan's face and he put the funny sign up in front of both of us before the camera flashed for our final photo.

We left the impromptu booth and awaited as our photos processed.

Juan and I were at another wedding, this time one of his coworker's, so it was mostly just us two spending the entire time together.

"No!" Juan starts to laugh at the photos. "What the hell was I doing?"

"I'm gonna blow this one up," I laugh hysterically.

○○○

We were holding hands as we exited the venue and started to walk back to my place.

It's been a month since that third date of ours and we haven't officially declared that we're in a relationship, but we practically are.

We talk about that wedding the entire way home and take some time talking about the scene that one of his drunk coworker's started at the reception and we can't help but laugh at the incident.

We were walking right on the coast when Juan came to a complete halt and started leaning on the railing separating the ocean and us, facing the water.

"What is it?" I ask him before leaning my back on the railing.

"I have something to tell you," he lowers his voice a bit.

Juan's POV

"Go ahead," Anto simply says, not expecting anything close to what I really want to tell her.

I look at her one last time before clearing my throat, still trying to analyze how it was that I was going to tell her about what Eva and I had.

I'm finally at a good place with this amazing girl and I had been lying about this one thing that would hurt her the most. I know I have to tell her, but this is the hardest thing that I can do.

I think of her reaction, the scowl on her face before she swats me with her clutch and begins walking away. The lonely sound her heels would make as she picks up the pace before I catch up to her and as I call out her name.

Me trying to tell her that I can explain everything and it meant nothing to me while she shouts that she doesn't wanna hear it.

All these amazing past months coming to an end in seconds.

"I'm glad you came tonight," I finally speak. "You look stunning."

"I had fun," she smiles before leaning in and leaving a kiss on my lips. "And thank you. You do too."

I look back out onto the water and take a deep breath, thinking what she doesn't know won't hurt her.

"When's the next wedding?" She interrupts my thoughts.

"I don't know," I chuckle and try to take my mind off of the one thing that has been preventing me from asking her to be mine. "You didn't catch a bouquet tonight either, so..."

"I got another five years left in me," she laughs before turning to face the water with me. "What's bothering you, Juan?"

"Just a little scared," I tell her.

"About?"

"How much I like you," I turn to face her.

"Nothing bad can come of that," she says sincerely as we look into each other's eyes. "I can promise you that."

○○○

I was kissing Anto as she started to rummage through her clutch to find her apartment keys.