Chapter 6 ● The Day They Realized It Was About to Get Messy

Juan's POV

"It's been four months since they announced the engagement," I begin as Eva gets dressed in front of my bed. "And you still haven't heard anything from Meli?"

"We're not that close," Eva says. "I'm officially a bridesmaid, though."

"Congratulations!" I sit up. "Are you excited?"

"Very," she jokes. "Couldn't you tell?"

"Who's maid of honor?"

"Who do you think?" Eva bites.

I smile at the thought of Antonella.

"Anyway," I shake my head. "When are you gonna let me take you out on a proper date."

"Never," Eva smiles up at me. "You know I don't want any of that."

"Meet me halfway here," I suggest and get an eye roll.

"Bye Juan."

I hear the door to my apartment close and I let out a breath before sitting back on some pillows. I grab my phone and ignore the message from Felipe before going back to the thread I had with Antonella.

I text her a quick congrats about her maid of honor role and she responds a minute later.

We talk for a bit before another text from Felipe pops up at the top of my phone.

I reply and tell him that he can come over to my place.

○○○

"What's up?" I ask as soon as I fling the door open.

"How goes it?" Felipe asks before walking into my apartment and greeting me.

"Mr. Fiancée," I mock him. "How's Meli doing?"

"She's great," Felipe nods as he sits down on my couch. "Super excited, super busy, but she's all good."

"Manolo?" I ask as I make my way over to the fridge and pull out two beers.

"The dog's fine," Felipe waves his hand at me. "Melissa's baby."

"You're gonna have to learn to become a dog person," I laugh at the guy that hasn't gotten used to his own pet. "Here you go," I pass him the drink and he thanks me. "So what? You wanted some free time from all the planning and wanted to come hide over here?"

"Come on," he shakes his head. "I mean, let's order some food and watch a game," he nods. "But I came over for some wedding business too."

"Oh shit," I laugh. "Felipe's doing work?"

"The wedding is two months away," he nods. "Rehearsals are starting and we're doing the team lineups."

"Team lineups," I chuckle with Felipe. "Alright I'll be a groomsmen. I know Manolo comes first so-"

"Nah, I want you to be my best man," Felipe stops me in my tracks.

"Best man?" I repeat. "You're joking right?"

"No," he laughs. "I mean some of my old buddies can't fly in for the ceremony and well, you're the next best thing."

I bite my tongue so I don't reply to that insult.

Felipe and I aren't the best of friends, in fact I know he has a whole ton of friends from college and all these other places, a whole world of friends that I don't know, but we have been friends for a long time and him considering me as the next best thing is rude.

This makes me realize we aren't really friends at all, he just asks me for favors and everything's about him, but we have been in each other's lives for so long that it seems wrong to not be.

"I'd love to," I smile and grant him another huge favor.

"Yes! Great! Thanks man, you're a lifesaver," he says his favorite line of them all. "So what are you in the mood for?"

"Uh, real quick," I stop him. "Is there a list or something, anything I should know? I know I have planning duties, I've just never been a best man before."

"Meli will probably let you know," he explains. "I'm a tad lost myself."

"Alright," I nod. "Guess I'll give her a call later."

Felipe and I order some pizza and get to watching a match that was halfway through. We were talking some more about the wedding and all the costs he was in awe of when I felt the need to talk about Melissa again.

"I just gotta ask," I start. "What did Melissa's parents say?"

Felipe let out a laugh before answering.

"It's just her mom," he explained. "And she wasn't too keen on the idea."

"She is young," I frown.

"Six years isn't much," Felipe disagrees. "Anyway, she wants to get married already."

"Got it," I nod.

"We just came back from visiting her mom, actually. She lives in Naples and," he kept laughing. "It was my first time meeting her in person and she insisted on setting up Melissa's old bedroom just in case she wanted to leave this all behind and come back home."

"Gotta love her," I join in the laughter. "Is she coming to the wedding?"

"Yeah, yeah," Felipe nods. "She is."

"Speaking of guests," I change the subject. "Do we all get plus ones?"

"Ooh," Felipe makes a face. "You got a girlfriend you haven't told me about?"

Just then my doorbell rang and I put a hold on our conversation to go get our food.

○○○

"So tell me about the girl," Felipe starts again after we finished eating our food.

"Oh, nah," I shake my head. "I don't have a girlfriend."

"Doesn't sound like it," he mocks me.

"I was just thinking," I say. "I like Eva," I explain and Felipe stays silent. "I was wondering if I should ask her to be my date to the wedding."

"She's already gonna be there, I don't think there's a point in asking."

"It's a nice gesture," I laugh. "Especially since I want to ask her out."

"No," he bites. "That isn't a good idea."

"Why not?"

"The wedding is in two months a-and the rehearsals are in a couple of weeks, I really do not want you fucking this up."

"Fucking this up?"

"Yeah, she's a bridesmaid," he nods. "Do you know how mad Melissa would get if she knew you weren't concentrated on your best man duties along with Eva not being all over her bridesmaid duties."

"What makes you think I won't be? Just because I like the girl?"

"Knowing you," Felipe widens his eyes.

Knowing me? Felipe really doesn't know me at all.

"So you think it's a bad idea?" I confirm.

"Yeah," he nods one last time. "Don't get involved with her. She's not the best person, I'm just trying to look out for you."

For me?

"Thanks man," I nod. "I'll forget about it if it means that much to you."

"Believe me," Felipe shakes his head. "Melissa would have a fit."

"I really don't see why, but okay," I shake my head.

"It'll be messy."