Chapter 18 ● The Night They Made Shit Hit the Fan

Juan's POV

"You ready?" I ask Melissa, hands on her shoulder after the pep talk I gave her.

"It's game day," she smiles at me.

"I'll text you," I tell her for the millionth time.

"I'll be waiting," she sits back in the driver's seat of her rental car.

We were parked outside the venue of Felipe and Eva's wedding ceremony and reception. Today was the day.

I left the car and the girl that I was set to see again in a couple of hours.

"Get your girl back!" Melissa shouted at me before I closed the car door and I smiled and gave her a wink before crossing the street.

I caught up with people entering the venue, the ceremony was about to start and I caught the looks of some of the guests and the groomsmen who were waiting for me.

I looked over at Antonella and gave her a nod, she was at the end of the bridesmaid line and she looked away immediately.

"I made it," I joked and Felipe looked at me.

"Come on," he rolled his eyes and I stood next to him like the best man that I was.

○○○

Moments later, Eva started walking down the aisle all by herself.

I tried not laughing at her dress. Super tight with a leg slit that was too high up, typical of her.

When she finally made it to the altar, the ordained friend of Felipe's started talking

"Friends, we have been invited here today to share with Felipe and Eva a very important moment in their lives. In the years they have been together, their love and understanding of each other has grown and matured, and now they have decided to live their lives together as husband and wife."

○○○

A prayer was read, then the definition of marriage, which in all honesty probably went over their heads. The vows came up after.

The couple had the most generic vows, proving that they really don't love each other. I was holding back my laughter during the entire ceremony.

"Now," the guy starts. "If any of you has reasons why these two should not be married, speak now or forever hold your peace."

I shift my weight from one leg to another and clear my throat, everyone darting their eyes over at me.

I look at everyone in the crowd and widen my eyes.

Antonella was looking at me, Eva glaring, and Felipe giving me a questioning look.

I take a step back and stay silent, the ceremony continuing as I bite my tongue.

○○○

After a nice enough ceremony, all the guests are led to another room with some quick bites and drinks being roamed around by the caterers while the room we were just in got set up for the reception.

"Next time you decide to clear your throat, choose a better time," Eva's maid of honor hisses as she passes by me and I take the first sip of my champagne.

"Duly noted," I tip my glass to her as she doesn't even look back at me.

I look around the room and realize that this whole function was going to be a bore for a while longer.

I spot Antonella and go up to her, but as soon as I reach her and call her by her name she walks away without even looking in my direction.

"Good talk," I whisper to myself.