Chapter 14 ● The Day They Took the Next Step

Antonella's POV

"Good morning," I say as soon as I spot Juan in his kitchen cooking us breakfast. "That smells amazing!"

"Good," he chuckles at me. "How'd you sleep?"

"Great," I nod. "You could've let me sleep on the couch."

"You get the bed, it's only right," he shakes his head.

"You could've slept in the bed too," I bite my lip and Juan smiles at me.

"You woke up flirty today," he chuckles. "I like it."

"What's for breakfast?" I laugh too.

"Arepa con queso, chorizo, y jugo de mora."

"I almost married you just now," I joked as he handed me a plate.

"I wouldn't complain," he surprisingly said.

I sat down at the counter and took the fork and knife he handed me right before he came and sat next to me.

"So, I saw Melissa yesterday," he says.

"Where?" I ask. "I saw her at work when she was packing up her stuff," I simply state, not giving up more information until he does.

"I grabbed some coffee with her," he begins. "The whole thing with Eva and Felipe dating isn't something that sprung up out of the blue. They, um, were having an affair."

"I heard," I shake my head. "Can you believe that?"

"No, I really can't," he says. "Did you already know?"

"Absolutely not," I shake my head. "Well... I had my suspicions."

"And you never said anything?"

"It wasn't my place, you know. And if I ever did tell, I needed concrete evidence. I tried, believe me, tons of times to see if I could catch them doing something. In hindsight they were super careful, I couldn't catch them doing anything."

"What do you mean you tried?"

"I would say I was leaving and sneak back in, in hopes of catching her. I'd randomly walk into her room, forgetting to knock, just a bunch of stupid shit in hopes that my suspicions would become real," I explain. "I know it sounds real bad and I shouldn't have even wanted it to be real in the first place but something was odd," I think to my suspicions about Juan and Eva.

"If they were so careful...." Juan starts and stops.

"What of it?"

"If they were so careful, how did they get caught after so long?"

"A-are you saying-"

"Eva really is evil," he shakes his head and let's out a laugh.

"Eva told me she had cancelled plans with a friend that night, she had something more important to do," I finally understand what she was referring to. "I don't think she made sure they were caught by Melissa-"

"Anto, that's exactly what happened."

"What would she get from it?" I defended Eva for no reason.

"Everything she wanted," Juan states. "She would get her man, she would be the sole purpose as to why a wedding was cancelled, which is the right amount of attention she always craves, and she would get rid of Melissa, someone she really didn't like to begin with."

"Wow," my jaw almost drops. "You know her better than I do."

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to complain about this or her," he shakes his head then puts his hand on my arm. "I'm just mad at how dirty they did Melissa. All of us actually."