Chapter 8 ● The Day They All Screwed Up

Juan's POV

I was pacing in the church parking lot when I saw Antonella's car arrive.

I was thinking of something to say to Eva who got out the passenger side of the car.

"Hey," Anto smiles over at me when she gets out.

"Hi, Juan," Eva smiles before walking toward the trunk of the car.

"You're here early," Anto observes as she comes up to me, binder in hand.

"I was going over my list," I lie and hold it in my right hand.

"Nice," she smiles. "Nice tux too," she says as Eva slams the trunk door harshly, things in hand.

"Let me help you," I go over to her and take all the boxes as she gets a better grip of their dresses.

"Thanks," she smiles up at me again, and I get a bad feeling.

"Felipe and Meli are inside with some of the other people," I explain to Anto as Eva walks ahead and away from us.

We all head into the church right after.

○○○

"I need the best man and maid of honor!" Melissa calls out after we go over the ceremony headings and our placements twice.

"Hey," I greet Meli again as Anto comes up in front of us.

"Just want an update on all the catering and stuff," Meli begins. "Juan, you took care of all the appointments for the groomsmen's fittings?"

"Uh-"

"Yeah," Antonella begins. "We set up the fittings together last week. Remember, Juan? You called it the Rodriguez thing, the places name is-"

"Not fittings," I laugh. "Yeah, yeah, I did," I lie to Meli.

"And the bachelor party?"

"That's coming along," I say truthfully this time around.

"A month from now would be perfect timing," Meli says. "Exactly."

"Okay, I'll keep that in mind."

"Bachelorette party?" Melissa asks Antonella.

"That's coming along too," she smiles.

"Perfect," Meli squeezes Antonella's arm. "Now let me talk to Juan alone, please."

Anto scurries off and I'm left with Melissa.

"Juan, I love you," she starts. "We tried saving some money by not hiring a planner, you know. So thanks for everything you do for us, from Manolo to house sitting, but if this is all too much we could just ask someone else-"

"No, no," I shake my head. "I'm sorry. I've just been a bit distracted, but everything's in order."

"Okay, good," she bites. "Because I'm in an awful mood today and one more thing is going to send me over the edge."

"What's wrong?"

"Felipe has been moody all morning, my mom has been nagging me trying to get me to cancel the engagement because she hates him, this priest is all over the place, and I just want to go home and take a bath."

"Take deep breaths," I put my hands on her shoulders.

"Thanks, Juan," she puts her hands on mine. "The bridesmaids and I are gonna try on our dresses while the guys practice the processional."

"Right," I nod.

"That means entrance," she clarifies.

"Okay, got it," I nod again, finally understanding what she said.