Chapter Eleven

When I wake I am in my old room. I know that I should probably get up, that my family needs to see me and Farley needs to talk to me and Kilorn is waiting and Cal...

Actually Cal is asleep right next to me. I can feel the heat from his body, and his slow, steady breaths. I look at him. He's really here. For right now, at least, Maven cannot take this from me. This moment is mine forever. Cal is so calm, so relaxed, that I don't want to wake him up just yet.

But his nightmares do. I can tell the second he starts getting agitated in his sleep. His body flames and his breaths come in short, fast, uncontrolled movements. He groans.

"Cal?" I whisper. "Cal?" My voice cracks and I shake him. His eyes open suddenly and he shoots up, looking all around the room. He is looking for danger, a threat toward me, just like Maven did.

"Its okay, it's okay, it's okay." I say, grabbing his arm. "I'm here. I'm okay."

Cal double checks the room, just in case. He sighs and runs a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry. I just-" His voice is rough.

I cut him off with a small smile. "I know. I get them too." I whisper, afraid to admit it. But he already knows by his expression.

I look at him, not knowing what to do next. He's so like his brother, but so different at the same time. He protects, not kills. He asks, not threatens. But he cares for me, which I know Maven does too in his own sick way. How could I ever have thought I loved that monster with Cal still alive in this world?

"So, uhm. How is everyone? My family? Did you rescue those kids? He never told me anything related to that. What did he do to you when you were there? How am I supposed to face my parents, Cal? I killed Bree and-"

Cal shuts me up with a kiss and I freeze. I was rambling and he knew it. I'm just nervous, and guilty. I can't face them.

Cal puts his hands on my face, which is turning red. I'm trying to hold my tears back. "You did not kill Bree." He whispers, but harshly. " You didn't kill Shade and your family knows that, Mare. You need to go see them, let them know you're okay."

I look at him, the traitor prince, and ask, "Am I?"

He kisses my forehead. "You will be. When this is all over, you'll grow old with me and look back and see how strong you were. This is just a moment, just a time. It's not forever."

I try to smile at him but end up letting a sob out. He pulls me toward him and strokes my hair. "Come on," He whispers. "Let's go see them."

So I back away and prepare myself. Then I grab Cal's hand and walk out the door to face one more fear.

Hey! Sooo. I updated this chapter and changed it quite a bit. I hope you like it!
Shout out to my friend JennifersStories! If you LOVE Frozen, then go check out her fanfiction! She actually wrote Resurgent with me which is available on my profile!

What do you think is going to happen next?