Chapter Sixty-Three

Cal- same day as previous chapter

"It's time to go. There isn't any reason to stay here and sit, wasting time and resources and energy." I tell Kilorn and Cameron after we devise a plan.

We came up with a strategy that has to work. We can get Mare out and kill Maven, showing them who is rightfully king.

Me.

I am the eldest son. It is my right, no matter how I feel about it. If it were up to me, I would take Mare and our child far away from here and live out the rest of our lives in peace.

But life isn't that equitable or generous.

So we will take a small force into the underground tunnels. Luka can disable any cameras or sensors before we enter. The rest of the guard that is left will cause a distraction, somewhat discreet, while we sneak in and attack. It's our best option.... our only option. And we need to take it now.

Cameron agrees with me, but Kilorn says we need more time to prepare.

"We have no time!" Cameron snaps.

"These people are only going to get lazier the longer we wait in the forest, unprotected, we need to get moving." I try to explain.

Kilorn just shifts back and forth. "Shouldn't we question the girl? Kyra? So... we can know what to expect." He adds, ignoring everything else.

I almost slap myself. I can't believe I forgot about Kyra's ability. "Yes, Kilorn. We can do that first." I turn to Cameron. "Can you get the rest of the soldiers ready?"

She nods, sharp and quick, clearly annoyed about something.

"Okay, Kilorn. Let's go. I want to move out before lunch."

Kyra could tell us if we win this battle. As of right now, the temptation to ask is deafening. But I know that any last minute change in plans could change the future, that nothing is set in stone. I may not know how her ability quite works, but I know that I couldn't handle what she told me if I asked.

What she did tell us was very helpful, though. We know know that Maven and Mare are in the palace today, not leaving anytime soon. We know that most of the soldiers have been placed out front, in the city, and not so much inside the palace. But we also learned that with Jon inside with Maven will make our plan a lot harder to carry out. He will know we are there as soon as we enter the tunnels.

After talking with her, Cameron lets me know that we are all ready to go and I turn to Shade, who is off to the side, staring at his sleeping child.

"Shade?" I question, prompting his eyes to look up. "Are you going to come with us?" I ask.

No doubt I need Shade. He's a great soldier. A great guy. Mare's brother.

He slowly looks up at me and I see the acceptance in his eyes. "I'm not leaving my sister's fate in your hands." He says, which makes me smile. I missed his sarcastic remarks. But he quickly darkens. "I just have to take Kyra and... Hadley to my parents. I can be back in an hour. They are just at that safe house, no doubt panicking about the explosion."

I forgot about them. Mare's parents and Tramy. They were sent to the safe house by the Colonel. Just thinking if they were still at Headquarters when it blew up...

"Yeah, Shade. We'll wait for you. Go on." I nod my head, walking away, one thought in my mind.

Almost time. It's almost time to see my brother fall.