Chapter Sixty-Four

Kyra

Shade took Hadley on a few short test "jumps" before taking us to his family. We didn't want to hurt her or put her in any more danger than necessary. But she held on like a champ. I don't think her eyes have shone brighter than they have after her father took her on that first jump. For a while, I was afraid she was blind, she was unresponsive to any movement. But then I saw that one of her bright blue eyes was turning an amber color. Only one. Usually babies eye color change when they are a few months old, but Hadley is very different from other children.

Shade holds onto her as I fasten a pack on my back, ready to grab his hand to go, when Soren grabs my arm.

"Hey, leaving without saying goodbye?" He smirks, kicking the dirt with his shoe.

I blink a couple times to make myself not tear up. I barely know this man. This guy in front of me is practically a stranger. But I cannot stop the way my heart beats faster when he is around. How the ache in my throat and chest is a welcoming feeling if it means I can see him. But Soren is going off to war, and he is still the first guy I have encountered... I can't just run off with the first prince charming can I? I don't think the world is supposed to work that way.

I smile weakly, ignoring what my brain tells me and going off of what my heart is saying. This is war. I may lose him today. And that is just enough to get me to reach up and collide my lips with his.

It wasn't short, not long either, but a perfect length where we both got enough time to let it soak in, let it be. I allow my fingers to curl through his hair having to stand on my tip toes to reach his face and I can tell he still has to lean down to reach mine. And then I take a step back and for a moment there is space between us, but Soren grabs my back and pulls me in again.

We finally release each other and I quickly look away from his smiling face, heat rushing up to my cheeks. I cannot believe I just did that. Soren grabs my chin and forces me to look back at him.

"I need you to do something for me, Ky." He sort of whispers.

"Anything." I gasp. I don't want him to go. He may be killed. I don't have anybody else to show me how to live in this world. Luka is like my father, but we have grown apart these past few days.

"I need you to stay safe." He leans his forehead against mine, his light hair shining in the sun, coordinating with the tree's yellow leaves. "I'm coming back for you, and I'm going to show you the whole world."

I sigh, nod my head, unable to say anything. Then I back up until I meet with Shade. He grabs my hand, and the Soren is the last thing I see when he jumps.

Hey! Two in one day! Who loves me?
Haha. I'm killing myself trying to get this done before the 7th.... Eek! It's only like 8 days away!!! What do you want to happen??