Chapter Thirty-Six

Shade

As she gets dressed, I sit on the edge of our bed, smiling like an idiot. Her stomach has just the slightest hint of a bump, and she complains on how much I touch it. I stand up and hug her from behind as she stands in front of the mirror.

"Hi." I say.

She scoffs, rolling her eyes. "What do you want?" She teases me, drawing out the words.

"I want to take today off." I say, holding her stomach.

She shakes her head. "No can do, mister. We need to find your brother. And figure out what Jon's up too."

I groan.

"Shade." She chastises.

"Yes, mother?" I make fun of her. "I know. I know. Why don't you just send me to follow Jon! I could jump back and forth. He's never know what hit him."

"No." Farley stares at me, serious. "No way. I can't lose you again."

I kiss her. "You won't." 

"You don't know that." She whispers back. She does that when she is trying not to cry.

"Yes I do. I will always come back to you."

She smiled then. "Okay."

"Okay." I repeat. I let go of her and grab her hand. "Breakfast?"

Mare

I wake early in the morning with a stomachache. Maven lays asleep next to me. I sit up, rubbing my head. The world spins.

"Maven." I try to wake him, but I can barely shake him.

I get up and lazily run to the bathroom, bump in into every object on the way. I drop to my knees and am sick in the bathtub. The toilet was too far away. I wash out the tub.

I collapse back onto the floor and cough. Oh, no. I can't be getting sick now. There could be an outbreak of war any second of the day. I close my eyes and lean up against the cabinets. This can't be happening.

"Maven!" I tell with my minuscule amount of strength.

He swiftly appears at my side. His eyes wide. I guess I have been doing this to him a lot. Shocking him in the bathroom.

"I think... I'm... getting the.... flu." I say between deep breaths.

Maven smiles and scoops me up in his arms. "I hope not."

Haha. I'm so bad. Horrible, really. Why are you still reading this?