Chapter Thirty-Five

Kyra

Jon comes back after only a week. Something tells me that he knows, but it isn't possible. There is no way he could know that I lied to him. He isn't that powerful. His ability is too limited. I should know. I've been with him since forever. I grew up dreading his visits. My whole family used to live here with me, until he started killing them off one by one till every person I cared about was dead.

Oh, but he didn't just kill them quickly. At first, I thought I was doing good by not telling him the things he asked for. Even when he forced me to watch him torture my mother, her screaming at me to stand firm, I didn't say a word. But now I know that it was worthless. He got me to talk anyway. I just couldn't watch him hurt my baby brother. There was no way. My father wasn't here to protect us. I don't even know who he is. I've dreamed about him, though. I created such a perfect image of who he would be.

But I will never meet him now. His memory died with my mother.

Jon leads me to the room upstairs again and chains me up. My shoulders still ache from the last time. He doesn't even attempt small talk. He goes straight to the point.

"These are the most valuable days in the revolution, Kyra. I need you to be sure that what your telling me is completely accurate, understand?"

"Yes, sir." I grumble. He responds by lifting my chains.

Jon paces the room. "The Scarlet Guard will attack in three weeks time."

I close my eyes and take a deep breath, focusing on the statement. It's true either way, the fake attack he expects or the real one they are planning. "True." I say.

Jon squints his eyes at me and I roll mine. He glares and then goes back to pacing.

"Maven will die in this attack."

I pause, for dramatic effect. He hates it when I do this. "True."

"Mare will die."

This question stops me. Mare will die according to the attack he is expecting. But that isn't what's going to happen. So Mare won't truly die. Carefully, I answer him. "True."

Jon stops pacing and stands directly in front of me. "Cal will die."

No. Either way Cal will survive. "False."

And with that Jon freaks out. He clears the table behind him of all the torture tools. He flips it. "What do we have to do!" He yells, his voice echoing off the walls. I let him have a moment, not wanting to make it worst. Finally, he turns back to me.

"Mare is pregnant." He states softly.

I gasp audibly. Shock waves through my body. "True." I whisper. In my head I am begging of him to confirm the father. I'm praying that it isn't Maven, anybody but him. But who else would it be?

"Maven is the father."

I tell him the truth. As much as I hate not knowing, for I know that he will leave me after this last question. Slowly I open my mouth to breathe out the word.

"False."

How many people did I just kill with my words?

I honestly thought I posted this like 20 minutes ago. I went on Pinterest to look up something for this chapter and then I ... Uhm.... got distracted. Sorry! :)