Chapter Forty-Eight

Kyra- One day before the bomb

We walked all day.

All day.

I have never walked as much in my life. I thought that it would be great; freeing. I thought that I would enjoy all the scenery and the wildlife. But, no. Its horrible. Small bugs crawling around and freakish birds making strange noises. Not to mention that if you have to pee... you have to pee outside, in the bushes. I'm sweating and sunburnt. My shoulders and back ache. I can barely see straight.My feet are cracked and bleeding but I'm afraid to tell Luka or Soren. I dont want them to think I'm frail. I will complain all I want inside my head, but I'm silent to them. I don't even make casual conversation after what happened with Soren last night.

So we continue walking all day until finally, just before the sun goes down, Luka suggests a small break.

Break?

For the first time today I say something. "Luka? How much longer are we going to walk?" I say sheepishly, glancing at Soren.

Soren scoffs at my question. He sits on the ground, his bag between his legs and a water bottle in his hands. He looks... hot. I shake my head to rid the thought and the world goes dizzy again.

Luka looks at me like hes contemplating. He raises his eyebrows at my actions. I plop down on the ground and moan. Luka squats next to me.

"How are you feeling?" He asks, concern etching between his eyebrows.

"Immokaay." I slur, blinking a couple times. "My feet hurt." I mumble. I lay down to try to get the world to stop spinning. Its so hot.

I can feel Luka gently sliding my boots off and then his sharp intake of breath at the sight of them. Soren crawls over to see what the fuss is about and his eyebrows raise as well, clearly impressed at my gruesome feet.

"Why didn't you tell me your feet hurt, prin- Kyra?" Soren sounds angry and he glares at me. Then i can feel him hold one of my feet in his hands as he pours water over it. He does the same to the other and then wraps them up. "We're stopping for the night Luka."

"We're so close, Soren. We can make it by morning." I hear Luka complaining , but I close my eyes so I cant see his facial expression.

"Look at her. She can't walk! You can go ahead, Ill stay with her." Soren offers.

I don't hear anything else because I quickly fall asleep.

When I wake, it's pitch dark. Nighttime. Soren sits next to me, stoking the fire. When I move, he turns toward me and feels my forehead.

"You need to remember to drink more water." He says, kind of coldly.

I get a little angry at his suggestion. "Ive never done this before, Soren. I don't know anything about any of this!" I push myself up on one arm. "What did you expect? You're not being the least bit helpful."

Soren's eyes widen. "I'm here with you, arent I? I stayed behind to take care of you? Luka left. Hes going to the camp. Its just you and me, princess." He says harshly. "How else can I show you!" He says frustrated.

I furrow my eyebrows. "Show me what?" I demand, sitting all the way up so I'm on equal ground with him.

Soren stares at me and I can see the fire die in his eyes. "That I care about you, Kyra. I want to protect you, but I've never been able to before now. So please, give me a chance to try."

I stare at him, unsure of what to say. No, I know what I want to say, but I know I shouldnt. The first boy to show interest in me. I cant just profess my love for him because I think I feel the same way, can I? I just met him. We're at war.

I look away, and whisper what seems safe, but still honest. "I care about you too."

He lays a hand on my shoulder and I look back to him.

"Who were you unable to protect?" I ask him.

His pupils widen for the briefest moment. "My sister. You said she was dead. I couldn't rescue her."

"What was her name?"

"Jacey Warren."

I squint at him. "Do you know a Kilorn Warren?" I question, remembering a name from one of Jon's bloody visits.

Soren smirks. "Yeah, he's some sort of distant cousin, I think. From the stilts. I met him once, when we were really small."

I smile at him, and he smiles back. I roll my eyes. Oh, this is the worse time to start something. We could surely die tomorrow. Or tonight.

A part of me just doesnt care.

Hey! Sorry I took so long. I had trouble writing this filler chapter, so sorry it sucks!! Next one will be better, I promise.

Thank you thank you thank you booklover4lifes and shattered_quill for wanting more when i didnt feel motivated to write. You are the best! I love you! And also thank you Glass_Sword for loving this story. She writes an awesome stoey where she combines Red Queen and The Selection. Its called The Choosing. Check it out!!

Oh, and do any of you guys have this Red Queen coloring book???!!! I put a pic of it above. Ahhh 😀😀