Chapter Twenty-Five

I stand in front of Maven, arms crossed, in the hospital hallway. He's shaking. In anger or fear, I have yet to find out.

What's wrong with him? He's looking all over the room; the ceiling, the floor, the walls. He can't hold still. It's like he's panicked or something.

"Maven?" I ask, sort of sweetly. "What's your problem?" My voice is an octave higher than usual and my tone gains his attention. Maven takes a step toward me.

I take a step back.

I can't start playing him yet, he needs to believe that I hate him for a while before I magical fall in love with him all over again. So I keep my distance, no matter how much I want too get closer to him.... so I can strangle his neck. Or stab him with those weird hospital utensils.

Maven is finally able to focus on me. "Mare, I need to tell you something, but you can't get mad at me. It wasn't my intention-" He speaks fast but I still interrupt him.

"What did you do?" I demand, my eyes growing wide.

Maven bites his lip and then the all too familiar cold look returns to his face. "Kilorn is here. But he won't live much longer unless I allow someone to heal him. I won't do that until you marry me. Completely. Officially. It's the only way, Mare... I'm sorry. We need to complete our wedding. "

I open my mouth to scream at him or stab him or kill him, but nothing comes out because he once again is dragging me away from the ones I love.

Maven wasn't lying. Kilorn is bleeding out on the floor. Maven won't allow any medics to touch him. I run up to his side and search for where he's hurt but the blood is everywhere. There's not a spot on his body that doesn't have a hole in it.

"Hi." I whisper, afraid my voice will break. "Kilorn. I'm here. It's alright. You're gonna be fine." My voice is shaking but at the moment, I don't care if anybody sees me this frail. This broken.

Kilorn looks at me with the biggest smile on his face and grabs my wrist with a bloody hand. "Mare. I need you to kill Maven."

I shake my head, tears streaming down my face. "I can't do that right now. I need to help you."

Kilorn scrunched up his face in frustration and pain. "No! I am done, Mare. There's no-" he gasps, coughing up blood. "-No saving me. Finish this. Live."

I lean down and kiss his forehead. "Maven!" I scream. "I'll marry you, I promise. I won't leave your side. Just fix him." I cry out, desperate for his mercy.

Maven takes his time responding, back to his usual self. He's poised. He's harsh. He's king.

Maven flicks his wrist. His signature touch. "Heal him."

Immediately, nurses are all over Kilorn. A skin healer rushes to his side and I'm pushed out of the way. Kilorn is taken to a different room, and I am locked out.

I bang on the door. "Maven!" I scream again. "What the hell? What just happened? I already agreed to marry you! What more could you possibly want! I give you everything, Maven, everything. I have nothing left!"

He stands close to me and this time I don't back up. "One day I'll be nothing, and it will be your fault. You take everything I have. There's nothing left for me to give to you." I whisper.

Maven leans in close, so close I can feel his heartbeat and like Cal, his flame. This man is nothing like the man who just took me from Cal, the patient and upset one. This man is exactly who I know Maven to be.

"I want your heart, Mare. That's all I ever wanted. If you won't give it to me willingly, then I become hard; cold. Fire doesn't go with ice, baby. You should know that by now."

The next couple of days I go back and forth between talking with Shade, to sitting next to Kilorn's unconscious body. Maven is keeping him asleep. Apparently Kilorn was doing something to get himself so beat up and Maven doesn't want me to know what that is. Kilorn will be released tonight, though, without seeing me.

After lunch I sit with Shade. He's just as hurt as I am about Kilorn's near death experience. And for once in his life, Shade has nothing to say. He just stares at the wall. I finally speak up, daring to say what I've been scared too.

"I could get Maven to release you too, you know." I say, staring out the window. "You could leave, tonight, with Kilorn. Back to Farley and Mom and Dad. You could teach Tramy a lesson and let Cal know I'm..." I drift off, not wanting to complete the last thought.I

I look at Shade, who's smiling. "Why would I leave you?" He says it so completely serious I actually believe him for a minute.

"You need to go back." I repeat. "Its the best thing for this war."

Shade snaps. "I don't give a-!" He slams his fists on his bed, suddenly full of strength. "I don't care about this war, Mare. I care about you, my sister. I'm not leaving you alone with him."

I stand up. "You will, Shade. I'm making you. I'll write to everybody and you will give them their letters and then help them win this, Shade. I need you to do this."

He stares at me, blinking fast. "I don't want to leave you, Mare."

I smile. "I want you too. And it's only for a little while."

"What's only for a little while?" Maven sneaks up on us, making me almost jump.

I turn to face him, full of confidence. "Shade is leaving with Kilorn tonight." I say.

Maven scoffs. "Oh, he is?"

I nod once. Then I stand on my tiptoes and kiss his cheek. "Yes, dear, he is. Now if you'll excuse me, I'd like to plan my own wedding this time."

Then I leave them both behind bewildered as I silently gag on my own words walking away from them.

Shade and Kilorn left a few hours ago. I gave Shade my letters for everyone, including his own, and then he was off. Kilorn got quite a surprise, I would guess.

I walk back to the room I was staying in and find Maven standing at the foot of my bed. He cleaned himself up. "Ready to go home?" He asks, hopeful.

I sigh. "Let's go."

When we get back to Archeon, Maven leads me to my room. It's exactly the same. I walk in and lay down on the bed, ready to pass out from exhaustion. Maven sits down on the edge of the bed.

"Maven?" I question.

"Can I just sleep here tonight?" he asks. "I promise I won't -" he hovers his hands over the bed for a moment before finally laying them down gently.

I nod. "I know." He smiles at me, soft again.

When I finally fall asleep, the boy who loves me has his arms wrapped around my waist, tearing my heart in two.

Hey! What do you think? I feel like it's kinda boring... Yawwwwn... But I was wondering if you guys wanted to know what those letters say for the next chapter or if I should just continue with the story...? Ahhhh. Let me know. 😁 :)