Chapter Sixty-Six

Cal

We make it all the way through the tunnels before the first wave of attacks. Though we know that Jon's ability tells him that we are here now. there is no way that someone could have sent backup this quickly. Somehow, some way, someone was prepared for this.

But not prepared enough because soon the hallway is quiet and filled with blood, red and silver alike. Cameron is panting, her hands on her knees, but still tough and ready to go on. Kilorn is leaning against a wall, glaring down at a body. Soren and Luka stand motionless, emotionless, as soldiers. Shade wipes the blood from his sword and reloads his gun.

I shake my head to rid my guilty thoughts. "Let's move." I command, making my way to Maven and Mare.

Mare

"W-what?" I stutter, not believing what I am hearing come out of Maven's filthy mouth.

He comes closer, his body filling my vision, covering Jon's knowing smirk. "A large group outside while the smaller one sneaks through the tunnels... the sensors in the tunnels magically turning off, not raising any alarms... Looks like a rescue mission to me, wife."

Anger and hope boils up inside me, threatening to come to surface, but Jon pipes in too quickly, his stoic voice cutting me clean through.

"Or an assassination attempt," He adds to Maven's imagination.

Maven's face lights up with sarcasm and glee. "An assassination?" He exclaims. "Cute. I am king, no one -"

Jon interrupts his performance. "My king, you are correct in thinking that your, being the ruler of Norta, makes you a difficult target, what with all the guards and such," He twists his words, confusing me with his facade. I can hear heavy footsteps running down the hall and alarms ringing off in the distance and can only imagine the chaos happening beyond this room.

He continues, "and this room is heavily camouflaged. But I feel as if it is my duty to go out there, in the midst of the fighting, to confirm the outcome I have foreseen."

Maven hesitates for just a moment before nodding his head and adding as Jon exits the hidden room, "Just... don't die or anything. I value your presence."

I hear Jon laugh and shut the door and then I am alone with my husband. The husband who, is glaring at me with ice cold hatred in his eyes and rage inflamed on his fists.

Kyra

Hadley just closed her heavy eyelids when the knock came at the door. Tramy and his parents were sitting in the main room of the safe house, where it was warmest. Night had fallen and a black blanket had covered the entire sky, diminishing all light.

I had enjoyed talking with all of them. I haven't conversed with vey many people in my life, and it felt good... normal. Mr. Barrow made me laugh all day and they all adored baby Hadley.

But all conversation and beliefs of safety halted when the knock came. The guys were immediately on alert. I held Hadley closer to my chest, praying to God for His protection.

Please Jesus, oh God, please, please!

Tramy grabs a gun and tosses it to his father, sitting in his chair a few feet from the door, then he grabs his own weapon and unlocks the door.

As soon as he cracks it open, the person on the other side pushes in, making Tramy stumble backward.

No, no, no. Anyone but him.

"Ahh," He says when he spies me, our eyes locking on to one another.

Jon. Jon. It's Jon. How did he find me here?

Oh God, help us. Spare the child, please!

"My dear Kyra. I have missed you my daughter."

Aaannnnddd another cliffhanger. This one isnt as bad as the last, is it? How did you like it? Lemme know what I can do to make it better. Thanks so much for all your support and comments, it makes me smile! You make my days.