Chapter Sixty-One

Jon

My secret is out.

Now all of Norta knows about Kyra. My sad, young, idiotic daughter. When I find her she will learn what happens when someone disobeys me. Hopefully her and those traitor soldiers made their way to the Scarlet Guard. If they heard the king's announcement, then maybe they will believe her a traitor and hold her hostage. Maybe they will think that since she's my blood, she's no good. I need her back. She's valuable. I need her ability.

Nobody is going to slip through my grasp. Nobody will stop me from getting the crown. I will be seated upon of throne of black blood, too infected with lies to be either red or silver.

When the Guard comes marching in, any day now, Maven will die. The love sick boy prince will be out of my way and throughout the chaos, I will come through. Half of Maven's petty soldiers obey me already. The Silver elites want me to rule. The Scarlet Guard will never have enough people to beat my army.

I will be king. Kyra will be a most beloved... obedient princess. The Reds will once again be slaves to us more superior and we will finally defeat the Lakelanders. Norta will be the way it should be. The way it belongs. Leader of the known world.

And Kyra? Her disobedience has earned her a lifetime of chains. To the people, she will be an innocent beauty. To me, she will gain a stronger alliance between the Silver elite by marriage. Ptolomus wil do, or someone from House Arven or House Provos. Maybe a foreign prince or diplomat. Whatever helps me best.

Mare and Cal, along with the rest of the rebels, will be publicly executed. That should satisfy the Silvers and take away any hope the Reds have left.

Yes, it's all planned out. A long time coming. I just have to wait a few more days.

Maven

She's different.

Her mood will change multiple times a day. One minute she'll be happy, the next... mad beyond belief. She can be shy, seductive, distant, clingy and nagging me all in the same hour.

She can change my mood with a single expression. I don't like the hold she has on me. I try not to let her know the effect she has with me, but Mare is much to clever for my act. She knows exactly what game she's playing. I showed her the rules. I taught her to play, forced her to play.

And now the student has surpassed the master. She has placed her pawns accordingly. Her queen is protected on all sides.

I have turned this beautiful innocent girl into something unrecognizable and part of me is glad of the power I once possessed.

But Mare has taken even that from me. So now I will do anything to keep her close; her heart, her mind, her body. I need her influence. I need her power. I need her. She walks around this palace with confidence. Her steps are full of attitude while her dresses cover her scars.

Everyday I ask Jon of any potential Guard attacks and everyday he tells me we're all clear. He still isn't himself and I have been keeping a close eye on him. I still haven't figured out the whole story with his daughter. But really, who cares about his sappy family back story. It's not like he matters that much.

After all, he's just one measly Silver.

Hey! I split this up into two parts instead of one long one, hope that's okay with you. 👌 I'll try to get the rest out tonight.

Eek! It's almost oooovvveerrrr. Let me know what you think!!

It's getting closer and closer until Kings Cage is released!!!!!