Chapter Sixty-Eight

Cal

For a while, all we do is fight our way deeper into the palace, deeper into the pit. No one talks, we all use motions and expressions to say what needs to be said. The screams of anguish of those we kill are the only breakthrough of our silence.

When our group arrives on the main floor, completely surrounded by Maven's Silver army, I know we need to split up.

"Soren! Shade! With me!" I yell over the sounds of swords clashing and guns shooting. "Cameron! Luka! Kilorn! Stick together!" Just in time, I find my means of escape and take it, jumping over Ptolomos and slashing his stomach on the way.

I see Shade shoot a Strongarm and slit a Magnetron's throat at the same time as he makes his way toward me. Soren appears by my side the moment I turn to make another kill and my sword slices him.

He falls slowly to the ground but I catch him.

"Soren!" I exclaim, looking around for any incoming attackers, but I see that Shade has us covered. I look at his wound, the wound I made. It isnt too deep, but he definitely cannot use his arm... I cut into his upper right muscle.

He stands up shaking it off as I tie a tight band around it, and then I call for Shade and we sprint off.

The hallway we walk down is empty, bare, silent. Our footsteps echo loudly, making our presence known to anyone lurking in the shadows. I send Soren down one hallway and Shade down the other as I make my way to my father's office... Maven's office.

Once, when I was 17, my dad showed me a secret room behind his office wall. It was filled with books and important papers, things valuable to Norta's standing. I don't know if Elara knew about it, or if she showed it to Maven, but I do know that I have to check it... just in case.

I would never forgive myself if Mare was in there and I skipped over it.

As I enter the room, I know that they are there. I can feel it. Maven has a certain air around him and I can hear a faint shuffling noise, followed by heat so consuming I rush to the wall.

Unknown to my brother, I stand behind him as he yells at Mare, my beautiful, brave, Mare.

He screams at her, full of anger and desperation. Full of spite and hatred. But then he laughs. Mare's hands start sparking and immediately his hands are afire.

"You want to play that game, baby?" He teases. "Let's play."

My own hands light up, my fire larger and hotter and more powerful than his could ever be. I am stronger. "Yes, brother." I say darkly and he whips around, his eyes wide and fearful as he takes me in. "Let's play."

Hey! Sorry for the short chapter that has kind of the same cliffhanger, but I reallllly wanted to add this in. But hey, another one should excite you, right?

Here's to shattered_quill for being Amazing and always showering me with comments! Thank you!