Chapter Fifty-Four

Farley

We were underground when the bombs hit. The Colonel and I and most of our technical assistance were down when we got the 60 second warning. There was no time to save anyone else. We just ran out the tunnels. There was nobody to warn the rest that their death awaited them.

Now they are all dead.

I was last to leave, clutching my belly like I could protect it. I have 3 or 4 more months to go, and then I'll be able to meet my child.

But I made sure that everybody underground got out, and the Colonel and I were the last ones down the tunnels. We didn't make it very far by the time our headquarters exploded. The sound echoed down the hall, vibrating everything. A few moments later, a sound wave hit us and we all went down as the walls crumbled around us.

I remember distinctively that my father, the Colonel, cried out then, when all went black and chaos surrounded us. Something he hasn't called me in a long, long time. "Diana!"

That was the last thing I heard when I was knocked unconscious to the hard ground.

When I wake, I know that we are still in the tunnels, which are supposed to let out somewhere a mile or two into the woods once it hits the earth. The Lakelanders spent months making it for this exact reason.

I sit up and immediately see colors and blurs. A hand pushes on my shoulder, making me lay back down.

"Farley." My fathers voice appears, stoic and cold, like usual. "You need to rest."

I blink a couple times and touch my fingertips to my head. They come away blood red. I look down at the rest of my body, bruised, battered, but still alive. Then I lift my shirt, inspecting my aching stomach.

The sight of the black and blue marks that cover my belly break my heart. I take a deep breath and look up at the Colonel.

"What happened? What's going on?" I ask, biting my tongue.

He looks around at the few people who weren't crushed and sighs. "Obviously, we were bombed. We're stuck in the tunnels because the rocks caved us in. Only Sabrina's daughter fit through the hole, and so she is going to try to find backup."

"Shade." I whisper. "And Cal, they can't be too far away." I hope with all I have that they heard the explosion and came back. My stomach tightens and cramps and I grimace.

"Farley?" Colonel asks. When I don't respond, holding my stomach and breathing deeply he moves closer. "Diana?"

I know what is happening and I'll admit that I am terrified. Shade isn't here. And my dad keeps calling my by name.

"You said my name." I whisper. "Mama called me that all the time."

He scoots to my side and holds my hand. "I miss her very much, Diana."

I look into his sullen eyes and confess, "I know you do." And with just those few words, I know that we are okay. That we arent going to have any more problems from now on. I take a deep breath as another wave of pain ripples through me. "I'm going to tell you something that you're not going to like, but it's happening, okay?"

He nods, concerned.

Between labored breaths I manage to say, "Im- having- the baby!"

His eyes grow wide and panicked. "Isn't it too early?" He asks, not knowing what to do with his hands.

I nod very enthusiastically. "That's why I need your help."

I squeeze the Colonel's hand as one of the assistants, Sabrina, helps deliver my baby. I'm bleeding out everywhere, my head, my stomach, my arms and legs... everywhere. I can only feel pain, but I am not going to let this baby die. She is Shade's child as well, and I'm not leaving him alone in this world.

With one last push, my body freezes up in pain and I finally scream, "Daddy!" He grips my hand tighter.

My stubbornness pays off in the end, because a baby's cry fills the small space. The woman hands me my baby girl. Shade's baby girl. I weep as I hold her, knowing that I may only get this moment with her.

"Colonel." I hear Sabrina whisper as I stare at my beautiful baby girl. "She's lost too much blood, there's no way I can fix this here."

Then there is silence.

"She's so small." I whisper, feeling the life draining out of me. "She's perfect."

My father faces me, solemnly he tells me, "You should pick a name," as tears fill his eyes.

I look at my precious girl and smile, "Hadley Claire Barrow."

Those are the last words I say. Slowly, I make my way toward death with my child in my arms and tears on my face. And my last thoughts are that I wish Shade were here with me right now, but at least I got my small child that may soon follow me into death and my father who has reconciled with me. At least I know Shade loves me.

And that's all I ever needed.

Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry.
Please don't hate me.
But at the same time, let me know what you think....