Chapter Twenty-Six

I wake up in the morning next to Maven. I forgot that he slept with me. Now what do I do? If he were Cal I would just relish this moment. But... he's not. I roll over, defining sleep, and pull myself from his arms. I'm automatically cold, but, I don't mind. I don't need his heat. I prefer the older brother.

But now it's time to play. I have all my pawns in motion. I just need to distract.

I probably should be back in his arms though, shouldn't I? To prove my love..? But then he opens his eyes and I squint at him, pretending to just wake up as well. I yawn and look into his eyes, hoping they look dreamy.

"Why are you so far away?" I complain. But then I sit up, like the moments over. I walk to the bathroom and wash my face. I need to get him off my skin. I run a bath.

"Mare?" Maven calls when I'm inside the warm water.

"Yeah?" I yell back.

Then all I hear is a muffled voice on the other side of the door. I look down at myself in the water, covered with sweet smelling bubbles and sigh. "Just come in!" I yell.

Silence. Then a slow creaking of the opening door. Suddenly, Maven appears, looking almost everywhere except me.

I laugh. "Yes, dear?" I cock my head.

He's eyes make their way to mine. "Uhm-I-uh- wanted to know if you wanted to eat breakfast with me..."

How can he go from being so cold to... this?

I raise my eyebrows at him. "I'm kind of busy at the moment. But I thought we were going to eat every meal together."

Maven smirks. Back to his cocky self. "Is that what you want?"

"Of course. Your going to be my husband. I want to spend time with you, as long as you don't hurt me. I'll be glad to." I say, a little snobby to let him know I'm still me.

Maven stares at me, lingering. "Well, okay then. How about now?"

"I'm in the bat-"

Maven sits down on a chair that's in my big bathroom and smiles at me.

Oh, great. What did I just do?

Maven spends every moment by my side. Yes, he leaves for an hour here or there to do king business, but... he's almost always with me. Which is what I wanted, technically.

But right now all I really want is Cal.

We're eating dinner a few days after Shade and Kilorn left when I realize something.

"Where's Evangeline?" I ask Maven who stops chewing when I speak.

He quickly gulps down his food. "I may have sent her... on a mission... far away." He pauses and looks at my shocked face. "Come on, Mare, you know how much I hated her. That was real."

I take this moment as an opportunity. "Well at least one thing was real." I mutter, loud enough so that I know he'll hear.

Maven drops his fork. "Mare," he says softly. "a lot was real."

I turn away, pretending to tear up. "How do I know that?"

He reaches across the table and puts his hand on top of mine. "You learn how to read me. Eventually, you'll realize all that I've done was for your own good."

"Just tell me what you want." I say. "Not from me, but from this world. Your reign. This war. Your kingdom."

Maven smiles at me. "I want to reign with you. I don't want another mention of anything in the past. I want to look toward the future and live. I'll make peace with the Lakelanders and eventually this Scarlet Guard nonsense will disappear. Then it will be just you and me, ruling the world."

Yeah, he's definitely delusional.

Now I just have to figure out how to get him to trust me.

Hey! Again! I'm back! I'm actually here like everyday but that's because I have no life! :) So, let me know what you think will happen next. :)

King's Cage [Completed]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें