Chapter Sixty-Nine

Cal

I watch as realization dawns on Maven's face; the hopelessness that sets in his eyes and the determination that fills his stance. He may be alone, and I may be stronger, but my little brother learned to never go down without a fight. We were both taught that as young princes, both spent hours pouring ourselves into training so that we would never fail. But today is different. Today there is only one winner.

When Mare spots me I see tears escape her eyes and she sighs, struggling to pull herself up. Her lightning grows stronger, zapping back and forth and brightening her eyes. With newfound energy, she manages to stand up. Now only Maven stands between us. Mare knows exactly what we have to do before our reunion; to save our friends, to save Norta from the evil king.

Without warning, I send my flame Maven's way, catching his pants on fire, burning his leg in the process. With a curse, he quickly extinguishes the fire and glares in my direction, raising his own hands. I nod at Mare and she shocks him while he pays attention to me, earning a scream from the back of Maven's throat. A deep, guttural noise.

"Cal," My brother finally speaks up, disbelief in his hurt eyes. "You wouldn't really kill me, would you? Your own brother. Your king." He spits out, "You've already killed the last one, our father. The Silvers will never accept you now. The Elite won't stand for you as their king."

For a moment, I freeze, believing him. But then reality returns to my mind and I scoff. "Oh, Mavey. You always underestimated me." I say as I take out his legs, causing us both to fall to the ground.

The smack of Maven's skull against the hard, black tile will forever be burned into my mind. The blood shimmers as it pools beneath his head. His fight is over, but he is still alive. I stand over him, sword drawn as he attempts to fight back, but his depleted strength doesn't allow him.

Anger fills my heart and consumes my mind as I look at him stare at me. I glance over at Mare who, for once, is staring at me instead of him.

I can't kill my brother. I won't. But Maven stopped being my brother a long time ago.

"Mare," I growl, holding myself back. "I need you to tell me what to do. How are we going to finish this." I stare into Maven's eyes, into his heart.

He spits out blood, turning his head to the side. He starts to laugh. "Looks like my wife has us both wrapped around her finger, brother."

Quick as a tiger, I hold the sword to his throat, so tight and close that it draws blood, metallic and thick. Maven winces.

"You are not my brother." I say hardly. "Your betrayal against us all has effected Mare and I the most. We determine your fate, together."

I look at her, obviously drained but still beautiful and alive. She steps forward, standing by my side. After another long look at me, she turns her glaring eyes upon the king.

With a voice unlike I've ever head, full of heartbreak and pain and acceptance, she says, "He deserves more than a painless death."

So this is short but I wanted to get it out tonight. I know I'm not the best at writing action, so let me know what you think!! Only a few chapters left!!!