Chapter Forty-Four

Cal

When Farley tells me that Shade is back with Tramy, I follow her with haste. She talks fast as we make our way through the building.

"I could just kill Tramy. He put Shade in so much danger. I don't care if I am pregnant, I will strangle him!" She says through clenched teeth.

I roll my eyes. "Of course, Farley. Then you can just murder the rest of Mare's family."

She laughs. "What's wrong with you, prince?"

Scoffing, I ignore her. What does she care? We just need to get Mare out of Maven's grasp. I just need to get her back. Nothing else matters to me, not this thing with Shade and Tramy... Even if they are Mare's brothers.

"Well, Shade says they have bad news." Farley continues.

That gains my attention. "Is that all he told you?" I question.

"Yes." She draws out the word. "He wanted me to get you and the Colonel first."

I nod, of course. We arrive at the room they are in; the Colonel's office. We are the last to arrive. It's just Kilorn, Cameron, the Colonel, Shade and Tramy with us in the small room. Tramy looks a little beat up, but it's not like we haven't all had some type of injury during this revolution.

"Shade. Tramy." I greet, nodding my head at them. "Kilorn. Cameron." I ignore the Colonel.

Tramy takes a step toward me but Shade holds out a hand. "Calm down, he's fine. You're so antediluvian, Tramy." He says sounding exasperated.

I eye Shade with a questioning look and he smirks. "Baby daddy." He says quietly, and I flinch. Don't remind me that every second I'm away from Mare, I'm also away from my child.

The Colonel's deep voice breaks up the silence. "What's your news, boys?"

Tramy visibly gulps and looks to Shade, who stands up straighter. "Jon is working with Maven, but we also believe he's playing both sides... in some ways. But the bad news is that he knows exactly where we are. He knows our defenses and numbers. He basically knows everything. He knows our location, and he's planning on doing something with that information."

"Then find out what it is!" The Colonel... voices his opinion.

Shade smiles a little. "With your permission, sir, I would like to get a small group together. I think, under the circumstances, Tramy and Farley should stay. I'd like a few Scarlet Guard members, and Cal and Kilorn and Cameron. We would go after Jon, specifically."

The Colonel waits a minute before answering, cautious. "Alright, Shade. I trust you. You leave as soon as possible. Go pack your bags and I'll have 2 members meet you outside in an hour."

"Thank you, sir." Shade replies.

The Colonel pauses, staring at Tramy. "And you." He says. "You and the rest of your family cannot stay here any longer. There is a safe house not too far from here where you will remain. Go pack your bags. You're leaving at the same time as the rest of them. "

Tramy solemnly nods his head. "Yes, sir."

The Colonel and Tramy leave the room, Tramy knocking shoulders with me on the way out. Shade raises his eyebrows at me and he walks out after them, holding Farley's hand.

I look at Kilorn and Cameron. "Well, better get ready to go."

Jon

I get a call in the dead of the night after I set the bomb with the king. I roll out of bed, furious at whoever is interrupting my sleep, when I see who it is. Nobody from the tower calls me at all, definitely not in the middle of the night. I answer it, concerned.

"Hello? This is Jon."

One of the guards voice comes through the speaker, terrified; panicked. I think his name is Kastle. "Sir, I'm so sorry but we couldn't hold them off! They are gone! We have over 5 casualties."

"Calm down, Kastle!" I demand. "Tell me what happened."

Slowly he speaks. "Luka and that young kid, Soren. They took off with Kyra. Blake was with them but he's dead. They were also attempting to take the two maids with them but they are dead as well. They took the boat. Only three of us are left."

Cursing, I tell him that I will be there by morning and hang up. She's gone. They took her. Why didn't I see this coming? I should have known to check! I clear off my table and then flip it over. Tearing my hair, I scream. She's gone. She can't be gone. She is all that I have left.

With new determination, I stand up calm myself. She can't have gotten very far. No, especially since she hasn't had much experience walking through forests.

I will find her.

I will find her and I will bring her back and she will never be able to leave me again.

Why hello again! I'm back. I was never gone... But I'm back, your lives just got better. Okay, let me know what you think about this chapter. Comments. Critiques. Jokes. Yeah... All of that. 💙😀😶 I didn't proofread, so my autocorrect might have changed something drastically.