Chapter Twelve

I hesitate outside the door to my family's room. For a brief moment before opening the door I stand still, unable to move. Cal is patient with me, much more careful with me than he has ever been before.

"I can't do this." I whisper. It's my fault the ones they love are dead. I caused the destruction of their lives.

He takes my hand and puts it on the door handle. "Yes you can." He says, then together we twist the knob.

Straight away all 4 faces of my family turn to look at the intruder. When they see it's me, everything freezes for a moment. Gisa, my little sister, is tearing up but is beautiful as ever. Mom gasps and covers her mouth with her hand. Dad just looks up at the ceiling and whispers "Thank you." Then, Tramy, my big brother, scrunches up his eyebrows and comes at me. He lifts me up in a big hug and that breaks the silent minute. Everyone is around me and crying. I can't take it anymore. I break free of it.

"Don't you guys hate me?" I say, just above a whisper but no louder for I'm afraid I will break. "Shade and Bree... it's my fault that they are dead. It's all on me."

Dad comes toward me, slowly. "Mare, we would never ever blame you for their deaths. Yes, we are heartbroken because of it, but we got you back. Mare, that's all I care about right now. I'm thankful if only for that one fact. That you're safe."

I look around the room and see that everybody's reaction is exactly the same. I start crying I'm so relieved. I thought that I had gone too far this time. But they will always take me back. I can't scare them off.

Sorry it's short but that all I can do tonight!! Hope its what you wanted chels_the_bookworm and shattered_quill!!