The One That is the Prologue

Prologue

Merlin ran through the forest as fast as he could. 'This can't be happening.' He thought, 'Not again. I can't be too late; I will not be too late.' Merlin thought angrily too himself while running. He could hear his blood pumping in his ears from exhaustion. He was almost there; he could see the traces from the fight where Grawp had pulled up the trees. There were even some arrows sticking out here and there from the centaurs. But all of a sudden his foot got stuck on a root and he fell face first on the ground and everything went black.

He woke up hours later; the sun had begun to rise. Merlin sat up against a tree, his head spinning and for a moment his eyes couldn't focus.

"Where am I?" he said out loud. He couldn't for the life him figure out why he was sitting in the middle of a forest at dawn and not lying in his bed at 'The three broomsticks'. He tried to stand up but as soon as he did he felt a sharp pain on his forehead. Instinctively he reached up with his hand to check. He felt something sticky and took his hand down again to look at it. It was all bloody.

"Great," He muttered. "Not only can't I remember where I am but I'm also bleeding, just my luck."

Eventually he got up on his feet and started looking around. That's when he saw his Sidhe staff and everything came back to him.

"Harry Potter. I must stop him!" He yelled out. He remembered now. He was trying to stop Harry Potter from going to the 'Ministry of magic' and into Voldemorts trap.

Merlin had been checking up on Harry ever since that awful day almost 15 years ago when Voldemort had come to his house and murdered his parents. He had never intended to intervene in Harry's life but a few days before, he had taken his annual trip to the crystal cave; trying to get an answer for when Arthur was going to return.

He went there every few years, each time hoping for an answer but instead he got visions for everything but. He had seen the destruction of Camelot after Gwen's death but had been helpless to do anything about it. The ban of magic had been lifted after a few years Arthur's death and the executions had ended, but it hadn't stopped the attacks completely.

When he had returned from Avalon, he had told Gwen about Arthur. He had stayed until Gwen's coronation but after that he couldn't stay anymore. There were too many memories. Gwen had come to his and Gaius's chambers the day after the coronation. He had been in the middle of packing his things when she came into his room. He hadn't told anyone except Gaius about his coming departure, but she hadn't looked surprised, instead she had looked sad.

'Of course she would have known I would leave. She knew how much Arthur had meant to me.' Merlin thought angrily.

She had sat down on his bed and looked at him with a stern look and patted the bed next to her, he sat down immediately. She told him that Gaius had told her about the sorcerer and she knew it had been him. She promised him that she would keep it a secret if he wanted her to. He had been startled at first but after he had calmed down he had given her permission to tell the knights. He was leaving so what harm would it do. But she had to promise to wait until after he had left.

She had tried to convince him to stay but deep down she knew it was futile so she stopped. She stayed with him until he had packed everything and then followed him to the gates. Percival and Leon were waiting for them there.

'Of course they would have known to.'

He left Camelot and didn't come back until Gaius's funeral ten years later. He noticed the looks from the knights and Gwen, he could tell they had noticed that he hadn't aged but they didn't mention it. He was thankful for that. It would have been too hard to talk to them about it; after all, he had just recently figured it out for himself. After that he never returned.