Well, Damn

Chris had been dating Andrew for about 8 months now. She would love to say that it was due to their connection and budding love for each other, but she knew it wasn't true. Don't get her wrong. Andrew Perini was an upcoming linebacker also known as the "Panini-maker" due to his ability to flatten his opponents. Chris, on the other hand, liken his nickname to how he managed to flatten any conversation he became a part of.  Well, at least she could stare at his wavy black hair that seemed to shine dark blue in the light or look into his forest green eyes when she got bored. It almost made it worth it. The muscles were probably helping too. Could you blame her? She was only human. 

Chris mused that his lack of conversation skills  was an important trait if she never wanted to be invited somewhere. She would step back and let him take over the conversation. Most of the time, that was all it took for the other person to walk away. Ta-da! No more boring high society balls! Several repetitions of only football stats and  frat boy level partying stories could turn anyone insane. 

They were attending a Halloween party that Andrew's publicist recommended. As Chris watched Andrew talk to some celebrity chef or something, she could literally watch the twitch start to form. She knew because she had one. She had built her tolerance for Andrew, so she could last an hour or two. 

"Right, Chris?"

"Hmm. Of course." She nodded and sipped her drink as she looked away. Whatever she said was enough because the man left.

"Hey. What's up with you?" Andrew pulled her off to the side of the stage. 

"Nothing." She tugged her soccer uniform down. She felt ridiculous. Halloween is when you are supposed to dress up as someone other than yourself, but Andrew insisted that they needed to dress up in their uniforms especially since he was on his way to winning the MVP award. Besides, Andrew said "people won't even realize that you  are not wearing a costume."

Ah! Another jab at how sports for women were a joke. He even paired that little gem with "at least the stylist helped you out."  Chris did appreciate the new highlights to her shoulder-length blonde hair. The mascara really brought out the blue in her eyes. It would have been better if she could have worn the make-up with an actual costume. She was not as curvy as her sister Fiona, but she was sure she could have pulled off a Morticia Adams. She was tall and lean. It could have worked. Nope, she was dressed up in her work outfit like an uninspired idiot. It was like this man was her kryptonite. 

Andrew's teammates yelled at him from across the room. Oh look! They wore something other than their actual uniforms. 

Chris looked around for someone she knew, but there was no-one. Well, if Andrew excelled at the party, then it was obviously somewhere she didn't want to be. 

"Chris, I know we have been in a rut for the past two months. And I know why. I'm going to fix it."

Unless that was to break up with her. She was unsure how you could fix plain dislike. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have a special guest who would like to make an announcement."

Chris looked toward the stage before turning back into the crowd in the club. Everyone was looking back at her. At that moment, Chris felt as if she were on one of the carnival rides that lifted you up before throwing you back down. Something was wrong. She turned around to the stage to see Andrew staring back at her. 

Well, damn. This can't end well.  She wasn't sure who it was, but somehow she was brought on stage. 

"Chris, we have been dating for almost a year. We are one and the same. I believe it is time to move to the next step. So, . ." 

Chris could hear alarm bells ringing in her ear. Her eyes moved back and forth, hoping a fire alarm was coming on. When she realized there was silence in the room, she could see her hope fluttered away. 

She lost her breath as he bent on one knee. 

"Will you marry me, Chris Delafield?"

She heard squeals and gasps in the background. She looked over the now hushed crowd as they waited on bated breath for the "It" couple of sports to take that final step to reunite the worlds of football.

But all Chris could think was how she hated that he had used her nickname in the proposal at a Halloween party no less. 

Andrew smiled at her, confident and assured. More than she felt in that instant. Things that had been so clear in her head were now mushed as the crowd gave shouts of encouragement. Then, the worst thing happened. Camera flashes lit the air. When Chris looked into the closest row of people, she realized her every move was being recorded probably live to Facebook. 

So, there was only one real answer. 

She looked down at the ground and steeled herself for the circus. 

"Yes."

If the audience thought she was so overcome with emotion or embarrassment to look them in the face or even hold out her hand for the ring, well so be it. In reality, she was wondering if she was mentally ill.