Jump On Another Horse

Danny tried his best to move on. It should have been easy. He had been on dates and even slept with other women since The Break-Up. But as he sat across from his beautiful and smart date, he could only see Christi's face. 

"So, I saw in the Journal that your company is looking to invest in that new dating app. They contacted my company for their advertising. What is your impression of them?" said Leslie. 

"We are still in the process of confirming our involvement. I have not met them personally. Cole and our CFO have done most of the research."

Leslie nodded as she sipped her red wine elegantly. Danny held back a smirk as he thought back to Christi. She might pretend to drink wine, but she was a beer girl all the way. And she hated it when he talked about business. The conversation lulled for a few minutes as they began to eat.

"Daniel, how is your steak?"

"Fine, Leslie. How is your lobster?" He said as he picked away at the pieces. 

"Slightly dry," she said as she continued to pick at her own food. "I noticed that you are working with the Reynold's brand of restaurants. Tell me more about it."

Danny sighed as he looked around the darkened room brought to life or put to sleep by soft jazz. Everyone was dressed to the nines. This was not where he wanted to be. He wanted to be with her, but it was not meant to be. 

"Well . . ." 

~~~~~~~~

"So, do you want to meet up Friday for drinks? I will hopefully be celebrating the new Goldberg account by then," said Leslie as she pulled on her white blazer. She didn't even put it on fully. She just left the jacket to hang over her shoulders. She looked like a model. Danny was able to appreciate this beauty. The effortless elegance that she was able to present was truly astounding. He smiled at her to express his satisfaction with the date, but a firm confirmation that it would not happen again. The date felt less like romantic partners getting together and more like business partners networking. 

"Danny, what's up?"  said Christi as she walked down the sidewalk with Andrew in tow. Danny could already see the paparazzi circling like vultures. 

The sports world "It" couple of the moment was out on the town at the famous Black Bear Tavern. The deceptively named restaurant was elegantly decorated with rich burgundy curtains that framed not windows, but tasteful pictures of the LA skyline in black and white. White cloth covered tabletops were set off by dimmed lights that shined exclusively on each hidden booth.  To say the least, it was the place for expensive romancing. If two people went here, there was no argument that they were dating. 

"Hey, Christi. I see you two are on a date. Enjoying your engagement, I presume?"

"Always a stickler for the proper, Danny," said Christi with a smirk.

"Well, I did grow up with etiquette lessons," he joked back with a smile. He didn't even notice himself lean in to tease Christi. Leslie did. In response, she slid closer to Danny and put her hand on his forearm. 

"Daniel, I would ask that you introduce me to your friends, but who wouldn't know these two stars. Hi, my name is Leslie Hamilton. I work with Engles, Washburn and Michaels. Mr. Perini, you might recognize the name."

Andrew smiled with that camera-ready smile. Like Christi's sister Fiona, both thrived under the limelight. Some people had to be trained on how to have a public face. While others, those natural born stars seemed to blossom when the cameras rolled and the paparazzi flashed. 

"Yes, one of your colleagues approached me about an endorsement deal. Apparently, I have the perfect face to appeal to the 'common man' for the new line of jeans from Bandit," Andrew said.

Christi didn't say a word. Nor did she mention how Leslie never said her name, but focused on Andrew. She was fine with it. Andrew was the big ticket item for the general public. Give her a crowd of soccer or Olympic fans, she would be mobbed. 

"Yes, sir. I hope you will say yes. You would be helping out a client," continued Leslie. 

"Well, I'll let you know. We'll have to fit it in my football schedule. We are on winning streak as you know," said Andrew as if he was letting go of a hard-earned secret. 

Danny smiled at Christi as if he were apologizing, but call him petty, he didn't mind ruining their date. He had to get his kicks from somewhere. 

"Of course. Just your consideration is enough," said Leslie as she squeezed Danny's arm. Christi saw the squeeze for what it was. A sign of possession. Well, maybe Leslie should be fawning less over Andrew and more over Danny.

Finally, having waiting patiently for the conversation to end, Christi cleared her throat. Andrew threw his arm around her waist and pulled her close. As soon as they touched, cameras flashed. 

"Well, Leslie. This is my beautiful fiance, Christi Delafield."  

Andrew turned to her with a smile that seemed contagious. The smile was so intoxicating that Christi was able to ignore the flashes of the cameras. She smiled back. It was times like these that allowed Christi to see their future. It was times like these that assured her that she would be loved like her parents. Like Fiona.  When she had her doubts, she would remember this scene. The love that seemed to shine in his eyes. That was focused on her.

"Congratulations," said Leslie happily. "I hope to be in your shoes one day."

Christi merely smiled back in response as she leaned into Andrew. Danny looked around the sidewalk as the paparazzi began to circle closer with no fear. 

"I can't wait to see my beautiful new wife in her wedding dress. I'm sure she will be as beautiful as can be," said Andrew. Then, he leaned forward and gave Chris a peck. 

Danny may have been cynical, but it seemed to him that Andrew held the kiss for the cameras. If it were Danny, there is no way he would have been thinking about cameras or anything else for that matter. It would be just the two of them. Still, he was sure that his jealously blinded him. Christi did choose him. She wouldn't settle for less than the best. That is why she was such a successful soccer player. 

When Andrew pulled back, Christi was looking at him with a look that said he hung the stars. He smiled back at her before looking toward the cameras. He gave another smirk he posed carefully for each shot. 

"Daniel, aren't they adorable? They would be perfect for the new His and Her perfume line for Ridas Valmori." 

Andrew swiftly turned back to Leslie. "Well, what can I say? We just have the look, right Chris?"

Christi nodded, still slightly shocked. 

"When are you going to shop for your dress?" asked Leslie, slightly warmer than before. Nothing like prospective business to make you like someone. 

"Well, my sister offered to take me this Thursday." 

"And baby, don't you worry. Pick out your heart's desire. I'll cover it all. Whatever for my new wife-to-be." Andrew lifted up her chin and gave her a second peck. Cameras flashed away in the background. 

Danny could feel his hope slip away. He was sure that tomorrow's tabloids would be plastered with pictures of the sports world's new couple on their way to reuniting both of the football worlds.