Heart to Heart

Cole sat in his chair, staring blankly at the proposal Christi had left just a moment ago. Objectively, it was well thought out and organized. Then again, it also had his ex-best friend's name written all over it. Just knowing that that conniving bastard came up with this only made him madder. He knocked off the proposal just as his door opened. 

He looked up to see Ms. Richards, his CFO. 

"Did you know it is common courtesy to knock before entering?" he said as he crossed his arms across the desk. He planned to ignore the papers he childishly threw to the ground. 

"Yes. I know it is also common courtesy to receive a response after several repeated attempts."

Ms. Richards' calm and at times cold exterior both amazed and inflamed him. No matter his moods, she remained the same. Even when all the other employees walked on egg shells around him, she stood straight and without fear. 

"Can I help you?" 

"Yes. I need you to sign off on these measures. We talked about at the last meeting."

Cole nodded, but he didn't remember a thing from the last meeting. He was so focused on ignoring Danny and trying to figure out what he missed with their relationship. Did they have a whole conversation that he forgot? He couldn't let her know that. 

He tried to skim the information on the document, but he didn't really process it. While he signed his name, Josephine picked up the papers on the floor. She quickly read through the proposal, loving it all. 

"If you don't mind me saying, this proposal is very well done."

Cole scoffed. "Well, it doesn't matter. I don't think I will be backing it."

"Is it because Mr. Walton helped?" Cole looked up and narrowed his eyes. 

"Everyone has noticed that you two are not getting along. It has caused some tension among the staff."

"Oh and the staff has elected you their spokesman."

They had, but Josephine felt no need to rise to his sarcasm. 

"I just wanted to make you aware of the situation." Cole was sick and tired of people acting like he was the ass. He did nothing wrong except be a good friend and brother. He felt betrayed. Everyone wanted him to just suck it up and shut up.

"Well, let me tell you the actual situation. My so-called right hand lied to me as he slept with my sister. I only found out because he decided a good Christmas gift would be to try to sleep with her in my house. So, it is hard to work with someone who will lie behind your back like that." 

She looked uncomfortable for probably the first time Cole had ever saw since he had met her. He reveled in the rare occurrence, but felt slightly embarrassed that he had aired his dirty laundry out to his employee. He just was tired of holding it in. Usually Danny was his go-to. Without him, Cole felt lost. 

"I'm sorry that was inappropriate."

Then, she did something that he didn't expect. She sat down. Today, she wore a white sweater dress that contrasted greatly with her rich brown skin. 

"It is appropriate. We can't keep working like this. So, my advice to you is simple. You have to talk to him. You avoiding the issue is not going to fix it. Tell him this. You've been friends for years right? So why can't you tell him your feelings? He needs to know. Talk it out."

There it was. It was so simple, but sometimes it needed the right person to put it in just the right way. Josephine made him feel like an idiot for not seeing it, but he knew he didn't want to see it. He wanted to stay angry, but feel good at the same time.