Giving a Helping Hand

As Christi followed the instructions of her physical therapist, she felt immense pain from her leg. She winced as she tried to do the motions of moving her leg on her own. Even with the guidance of her PT, she struggled to move it. 

"Christiana, this is what happens when we skip appointments. We had been building up strength over that scarred tissue. Now, you took several steps back. We are going to have to work twice as hard," said Adrian, her physical therapist. 

Danny stared hard at the PT as he cradled Christi's leg in his arms. He wanted to step in, but after that last comment, he knew he was going to have build up her trust for him slowly. Now, he had a chance. Andrew the blockhead was gone. Danny knew that Christiana was the one for him. This time, he planned to fight for her. 

Christi felt Danny's stare the whole time, but she tried to limit her glances back at him. Still, something felt different. Adrian had commented on the difference when she walked in. Christi refused to let her siblings come with her because she knew they would overreact over everything. Besides, they were a busy group of people. No need for them to put their life on hold. 

She told them she was fine on her own. She would focus better that way without all of them playing Mother Hen. 

When the two of them walked in, Adrian was surprised that someone had joined her. 

"Nice to meet you. Christi usually powers through on her own. I always said support is the biggest way to speed up a recovery."

Danny smiled and introduced himself before grabbing a seat. 

Even though he tried not to intrude, just his presence gave her the extra boost. She wanted to do well for him.  To show that she was still as strong as she had always been. Not weak like Andrew had said. Maybe if Andrew had joined her, things would have been different. He would have supported her. They would have been able to build their love along with her recovery. Then, she remembered they had no love. She just missed what used to be. 

"Christiana, focus please. I need to move you to the balance beams." 

"Of course. I'm just a little distracted. I'll focus."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Alright. Great job. You have to keep up with your appointments though," complained Adrian as he looked at Christi. Christi  scrunched her nose. She knew that already. She usually was in pain all the time, but she didn't want to repeat today's levels anytime soon. 

"She will. I 'll make sure of it," interjected Danny.

Danny wheeled Christi back to the car. Once she was comfortable, Danny turned to face her.  

"So lunch?"

Christi glared at him. "Or not? Take me back to Amelia's." 

"No. You need to get out of the house. I know this break-up hit you hard, but. . ."

Christi sat up as she spoke outraged. "You know nothing. And I'm tired of everyone telling me what to do. Take me home."

Danny got out of the car and slid to sit beside her in the backseat. 

"No. You are one of the most cheery and up for anything kind of people I have ever known. I will not let you wallow in your pity party."

"Well, you are going to have to because that's just how I'm feeling. If you don't like it, leave."

"I'm not leaving you. I will support you until you are back to where you need to be." Danny tried to move closer, but Christi pushed him away. She scooted closer to the window. 

"I need to be on the soccer field. And that's not going to happen again." Danny could see the tears crowding around the rims of her eyelids. Christi sniffled and turned to the window. Danny attempted to get closer, but Christi shook off his attempts to comfort her. 

"Fine. We will go back to Amelia's, but this is not the end. I won't let you drag yourself down. If I have to be the one person to pull you out of this funk, I will." 

With those last words, he got out of the backseat and into the driver's seat. He took one last look at Christi in the rearview mirror. They made eye contact as she brushed her tears away, but she quickly turned back to the window. 

It pained Danny to know that he did that to her, but this was not his Christie. He was going to get her there. Hopefully, making her fall back in love with him on the way. Even if she didn't, he wanted her to be  . . .Christie again.