Making It All Better

The romance seemed to move from one to sixty in no time. With it, Christi was motivated. Danny continued to show his silent support at every physical therapy meeting she had. Instead of seeing his help at home as interference, she saw it as further evidence that he could help. 

A week after their make-out session, Christi agreed to a lunch. 

"That's okay. I'll keep . . ." Danny paused as he mulled it over. "Wait, what?"

"I said that I'm ready to go out to eat. I'm getting cabin fever. Take me out."

Danny looked flustered. He didn't know what to do. "Uhm . . . okay. Sure."

Then, Danny's smile lit up like a light in the dark. Christi was proud that she had done that. 

After much scrambling around, Danny managed to get her in the car. He drove her to one of her favorite places Lola's Seaside Shack. Since it was a beautiful day,  they asked for a seat outside. 

Danny made sure that Christi's seat faced the beach. He sat to her side as to not block her view. 

"I thought we might as well have a good view to make up for all those lost days."

Christi smiled as she looked at the shoreline. It was a Tuesday, so there was not a lot of people. She could see the gentle rocking of the waves framed by a bright blue cloudless sky and mounds of sand. She took in the squawking of the local birds and restaurant chatter. It felt good to be outside and enjoying the world. 

"Yes. Thank you for this."  

Danny sipped on his water. Christi knew he could have had a drink, but he said that he was fine to have a water with her. It was the little things that made her feel that he was there for her. Or would be there for her. 

"You look happy."

"I am," she said quietly. It had been a while, but she felt like things were sliding into place. It wasn't locked in, but she could see where each puzzle piece fit. She was slowly nudging the piece in.  

The two chatted about nothing and laughed about everything as they ate seafood platters. Danny held her hand where it laid on the table. It was truly wonderful. 

Christi didn't worry that she was in a wheelchair instead of a real chair. She didn't worry about how she looked. She didn't even notice the looks of the other patrons. 

So of course, it was a total surprise when a young woman with bright red hair and equally bright cherry red lips appeared next to the two. 

Danny gave the woman his attention, but still squeezed Christi's hand. 

"Yes, how can we help you?"

Christi had to hold back a smile. Whenever she had been with Andrew, he always assume any fan or person came over to talk to him. Even when the fans were clearly hers, he would still speak as if he were the star attraction and her the sad sidekick. 

"Hello, my name is Savannah. I have to say that I am a San Diego Miners fan. I think it is real messed up that you are moving on with this guy when Perini stayed by your side through your injury." The redhead glared at Danny as she continued. "I used to think you two were the cutest couple, but now I think you did him a favor letting him go. He needs a woman who will support him, not bring him down."  The lady didn't wait for a response before adjusting her purse strap on her shoulder and walking out with her stunned companion. 

The companion looked at Christi and Danny in shocked surprise. The tall man mouthed sorry and hurried after the woman. 

Danny turned to face Christi wondering how she would take it. She had been making progress lately with her exercising and even her self-esteem. But it was still tentative. When he saw her face, he was surprised. 

"Well, that sucked. I almost forgot about that happening." Christi sipped at her water. 

"So you're okay?" asked Danny. 

"Actually, yeah. I am. I am in too good of a mood. Besides, I know the truth. Why ruin her picture perfect image of Andrew? That's all he cared about anywhere. Not me, so I'll give him that."

Danny was so proud that he almost burst with joy. He leaned over and gave her a peck on the lips. 

"Yep and you've got me. Seems like an even trade."

Christi punched him jokingly in the shoulder.  "Don't think so highly of yourself."

"Well, if I am with you, why shouldn't I feel proud and honored?"

Christi laughed. "You were always a smooth talker."

"Just for you, sweetheart. Only for you." 

This time, they both leaned over to kiss softly. The incident was soon forgotten as the lunch continued. It became nothing more than an small interruption.