Read My Mind

"What is she thinking? Is this a joke?" shouted Cole the moment they entered the office.

Danny Walton walked to the window and looked out toward the skyline. No, the sky was not falling, but something was definitely wrong.

"He is just using her to get to me. I can just tell. Danny? Danny? Are you even listening to me?"

Danny heard Cole and agreed with him on every point. He was just shocked speechless. He thought they had something. Ok. That was over 8 years ago, but still he thought he had more time. I mean, they dated others, but still . . . .

"Danny?"

Danny whipped around in surprise to find his best friend right beside him.

"Why aren't you saying anything? Do you think I'm wrong?"

Danny wanted to shout back that he agreed with Cole, but it was for a completely different reason. He couldn't be the one to share the secret that they had kept for so long.

Luckily, there was a knock on the door, interrupting the conversation.

"Come in," huffed Cole as he turned to face the door.

In stepped the new CFO Josephine Richards. She was wearing a sleeveless black dress with a white stripe from shoulder to waist. The epitome of professionalism.

She looked at Cole, then at Danny and then back at Cole.

"Am I interrupting something?" said Josephine. As she tilted her head, a coily black curl framed her face. It was probably the most undone both men had ever seen her.

"No, Ms.Richards," responded Cole tersely. Josephine visibly stiffened at the tone.

"I'll come back, Mr. Delafield," said Josephine as she turned back to the door.

"Ms.Richards, what did you come to tell us?" Cole repeated in much of the same tone.

Even in his shocked state, Danny didn't think that Cole's tone would go over well. Out of all their employees, only two of them stood up to Cole Delafield: Danny and Josephine Richards. Danny knew he was not afraid of Cole because he has known him since college. He had no clue what the hell motivated Josephine not to fear the Great Cole who could make or break business ventures.

"Mr. Delafield, I believe it may be better for you to have a clear head first. I will find you later."

"Ms. Richards, just tell me already. What did you want?" Cole persisted, not learning his lesson at all. Danny wanted to step in, but he was kind of enjoying this. Even Cole's sisters had trouble dissuading him of something once he got it in his head.

"As I said, I will inform you when you are finished with your current task," said Ms. Richards as she turned to the door.

Cole took a step toward her and continued. "Well, I am the boss. I said to tell me now. Not later. Now, what is it?"

Ms. Richards turned back around and finally said it. "The background credit check on that restaurant chain you wanted to invest in has shown numerous red flags. I would highly recommend that you not put money behind them."

"Really? I thought a credit check was already done on them months ago. Why are we talking about them again?"

"Well, I realized this was done by the previous CFO."

"I thought his team oversaw the actual work done in the office."

"Yes, this is true, but it turned out he took a bribe to cover it up and gave some money to those who followed them."

"Like I need this now. Who are they?"

"I've already let HR know their names. I just wanted to inform you, so you can take action against them as you see fit. I'll be leaving now." Josephine Richards left quietly and without a response.

"Cole, she is doing her job. You've got to ease up or you are going to drive away a great employee."

Cole shook his head as if to clear out the odd feelings.

"I know, Danny. It is just so hard to trust another person with my money when I nearly lost it all. The last thing I need to worry about is my sister being taking advantage as well."

Danny nodded in understanding. He knew Andrew and Christi were dating, but he didn't see it lasting. He dated several women, but none of them stood out to him like Christi. Maybe he was the only one that thought that way. What a sombering thought.

"I have to go, Cole," said Danny as he left. Cole stared at the door where his best friend had abruptly left. This morning couldn't get any worse for him.

~~~~~~~~~~

Feeling refreshed after her shower, Christi laid on her couch and flipped on the TV. She was barely able to find a show to watch before her phone rang. She picked it up with a huff as long as she didn't have to move she didn't care.

"Hello."

"Hey sister. What are you doing?" asked Fiona cheerily. Ever since Brick, she was the freakin' epitome of cheeriness. She had always been happy, but now she practically bounced with excitement.

"I just had practice, so I am relaxing now."

"Oh!" Christi could almost picture Fiona pause.

"What were you going to say?"

"Well, I saw that there is a bridal convention in San Francisco coming up in three days."

Christi sat up quickly in her seat. "Fi, I only got engaged. . . like . . .a week and a half ago" Wow. It seemed like forever ago.

"I know. You haven't mention anything about it since. Have you guys set a date yet?"

Christi looked around the room as if the answer would appear in a cloud of smoke.

"Um, no because. . . we're busy." Yes. There is the puff of smoke now. "It is getting to the end of my season and the beginning of his. We want to make sure we have time to do this right."

Like hell. She hadn't talked to her so-called fiance since he left the day of the lunch with Cole. It was not that unusual unless you added the fact that they were now engaged. That said they were comfortable with each other, right?

"So, let me get this right. The only time you both will be free is not until January. If his team gets into the play-offs and the Super Bowl, then maybe not even until February. You start training for your season by March." Fiona paused as if Christi was supposed to interject, but she didn't.

"You know that means you have to have your wedding and honeymoon by like the second week of February. Doesn't that mean you should be planning now. You have such a short time window," stressed Fiona. You would think it was her wedding.

Christi merely shrugged and began flipping through the channels. Then, she remembered her sister couldn't see her.

"It'll work out. Maybe we will just go to the courthouse," said Chris flippantly.

"The courthouse??" screeched Fiona. "What are you doing changing your address or getting married?"

"Fiona, we are not like you and Brick. We'll figure it out. How about this? I'll call you back after I speak with Andrew."

"Fine. Ok. I have to meet with some investors for the group home. Call me back."

" Got it." Chris hung up and rolled her eyes. Why didn't she realize there were a ton of more decisions after the big one. Ugh! She didn't want to deal with any of it.