Kicking You When You're Down

If it was up to Christi, she would have handled the break-up completely differently. With her previous break-ups, she would brush off the sadness at another relationship over and bring those feelings on the soccer field. Within minutes, she was making goals and showing up defenders. Well, that solution was way out. If it was not soccer season, she would go rock-climbing or some other sport to keep the adrenaline flowing. Once again, that option was next to impossible. 

The least she could hope for was barricading herself in her home and ignoring the world. Instead, she was wheeled out in her wheelchair by her brother to the flashing lights of paparazzi. As they neared Cole's car, the paparazzi on the other side of the gate began to shout questions. 

"Christiana, where you going?"

"Are you going to be walking soon?"

When one of Cole's security team came out with her luggage, it only increased. 

"Are you leaving Andrew?"

"Is the engagement off?"

"Was there someone else?"

Christi put her head down as she slid into the car. Cole wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her head down on his own shoulder. He kissed her forehead just as their father had done when they were little. 

"It'll be okay.  Are you sure you don't want to stay with me?"

"It's fine. Amelia is a doctor and she said I could stay with her."

"Fine. I haven't seen my baby sister in a while anyways."

Christi smiled at Cole's tone. He was like a father to all of the girls, but especially to Amelia. When their parents died, Amelia was still in elementary school. Christi and Fiona were already in middle school and high school respectively. Even when their parents were alive, Cole loved babysitting baby Amelia. It seemed only natural that he would treasure her as his own. 

"We are ready, sir," said one of the security men as he adjusted his sunglasses.

"Let's go then. Take the long way. I don't want anyone to find us."

"Thank you, Cole. For being here for me."

"You don't have to thank me. I don't know why you broke up, but I am just glad you let that douche nozzle go. He is the human equivalent of a cold."

Christi sat up as she let out a belly-aching laugh. "What?"

Cole looked surprised. "He was! He attached to you and then spread to everyone you knew. Like a parasite, looking for money."

"Well, I guess I didn't see it," Christi said as she leaned back down on Cole's shoulder. 

"Well, Mom once told me why she fell for Will. She said that sometimes we see what we want in those we love and not what is really there. Real love is seeing the true flaws and all and loving them despite it."

Christi had to admit she was surprised. Cole seldom talked about his biological dad. He always made it clear that the girls' dad Jacob Delafield was his father. Christi appreciated hearing her mother from him. It sounded like her wisdom. She wished she had heard it before saying yes, but she knew she was not ready for it then. The point was that she was able to see the truth now before she made her mistake even worse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When they arrived at Amelia's small house, Christi could already feel herself improving. Rather than the other siblings who lived in the city at swanky apartments, Amelia rented a small house in an older suburb. It only had two bedrooms and one bathroom, but Amelia cared for the house greatly. On her off days, she meticulously cared for that flower bed that adorned her front porch. The cream stucco was pressure-washed at least once a month to keep it clean. That was only the outside. The inside was even better. 

Christi could smell the cleaning products the moment she entered. The wooden floor of the living room gleamed brightly off the the sun peeking through the bright yellow curtains of the windows.  There were no knick-knacks only carefully picked decorations with a few family pictures scattered around. On the coffee table was a vase of freshly picked flowers with two remotes laying neatly side by side. Then, Amelia came into the living room with a smile. 

"Hey big sister. Have a seat on the couch. Good morning, Cole."

Cole quickly walked over and hugged Amelia like the big bear he was. Amelia squirmed, trying to free herself.

"Cole!"

"Hi Amelia," he said as he pulled away with a smile. 

"Don't you have to get to work?" 

Cole huffed as he checked his watch. "Yes, actually. Damn, I wanted to spend some more time with my two favorite girls."

"Don't let Fiona hear you say that," said Amelia on a laugh. 

Cole shook his head and headed for the door. He threw a wave over his shoulder before closing the door behind him. 

Amelia helped Christi to the couch before joining her. 

"Fiona, should be here in a minute. Then, we'll talk. While we wait, I'll make us some snacks." Amelia patted Christi's thigh before sliding the remote to her. She then got up and headed to the kitchen. 

Christi shifted in order to get comfortable and flipped through the channels. All she could think of was Andrew pointing at her like she was a failure past her prime, surfing through channels like an everyday couch potato. Instead, she turned the TV off and stared at the blank screen. She didn't know how much time had passed before the doorbell rang. 

Amelia walked to the door , glancing only for a moment at the blank television screen. 

"Come in. She's right here," said Amelia softly. 

"Where else would I be? I have nothing else." asked Christi bitterly. 

Fiona merely sighed as she sat by Christi. 

"We definitely need to talk."