On My Field

After the disastrous day at the wedding boutique, Christi needed a pick-me-up. There was no better place than her own field. She made her way to the abandoned field  on the outskirts of an old neighborhood. The field was not a real field, but the overgrown yard of the old high school. As the neighborhood grew, the old high school couldn't withstand it. The school had been around since the 1900s. The neighborhood at the time decided it would be better to create a new school rather than maintain the outdated, run-down building. She remembered she was driving aimlessly after a horrible loss at the World Cup. She spotted a group of young kids playing. Without thinking about it, she jumped in. Ever since, it became her escape. 

Sure enough on what used to be the old football field, a group of kids were playing soccer. It was the same kids that were there all those years ago. Now, they were teenagers and not little kids of eight. 

"Ms. Chris, you're here," shouted the leader of the group Jose. He was the oldest at 17. Christi hoped that he would earn a rightfully earned scholarship to Hamilton, a premier college with a killer soccer team. She wished she could get all these kids into a good program. They reminded her of herself when she was young. A hyper little girl in love with soccer. 

"Well, I have to make sure you guys are keeping up with your training," she said as she surveyed the group. It was the same group of seven kids. She jumped into her favorite position against Jose as the forward. 

"Let me show you how it is done, young one."

"If only." Both teams lined up. There were two forwards, two defenders and two goalies. That's all they needed. Christi looked to her partner Patrice, a girl about Jose's age. Jose's fellow forward was his best pal Vincente or Vinny. 

"Let's show these boys how it is done."  The young girl smiled back and prepared herself. 

When Jose's younger brother shouted for the game to start, the girls were off. Christi kicked the ball around Vinny just as her partner came around. She kicked the ball to the young girl. The young girl was just as great. She was a missile down the field, determined and speedy. Luckily, Jose's defender Tony was able to wrestle the ball away. He kicked the ball back to Jose who headed straight for Christi. He had always been showy.

 Just before they collided, Jose did some fancy footwork and twirled around Christi. Christi knew him well and was able to adjust herself to steal the ball. 

With a sharp kick to her partner, Christi got the ball across the field. Just like she suspected, the young girl was able to change her position and catch the ball. She took the ball and kicked it to her right where Christi was able to catch it again. The boys stood no chance when Christi made her shot for the goal, a make-shift laundry basket. The power behind the shot knocked the basket upright.

"Well, looks like we need more training," said Christi as she bumped fists with her partner. 

"It's just the beginning, Ms. Chris. That was just a warm-up."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the time she made it to the last game of the soccer season, she was ready to go. It was against Sweden. They already lost to them at the last Olympic Games. She needed to help her team win against them this time. They needed to take back the glory. 

"Ready, Christi?" said her teammate Alexis as she patted her on the back. They were ready to go. Christi smiled back and started hopping with energy. This was her zone. 

"I guess that's a yes. There's goes bouncin' Christie again," said the goalie Santana. 

Her teammates laughed at her antics, but they knew this is where she thrived. It was one thing to play against other American teams, but a different league altogether to play on the international stage. This was where she could really show her talent. 

She walked out on the field with her teammates, feeling herself again. She looked into the crowd. She relished the attention and yells, but only here on the field. Once the game started, she wouldn't hear a thing, but her own breaths as she scored. Still, knowing that she had fans and even her family gave her a pep in her step. 

She went to the centerfield and got into position. Then, her teammates got into position and smiles were exchanged. 

The whistle blew and Christi took off. She had the ball and breezed past the other team's forwards. Seeing several defenders in the way, she kicked the ball toward her teammate nearby. They had practiced this play several times until they almost could feel each other. After the game with the kids the other day, Christi had made sure that her fellow forwards could practically read her mind.  So they ping-ponged the ball back and forth between the other players. 

Alexis was setting up to make the goal, but was unable to when the defenders crowded around her. Quickly, she abandoned the ball to Christi who took the shot without hesitation. The crowds cheered as she made it in. Well, that was only the start. Christi had not been given the top scorer title two years in a row as a fluke.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, they were going to win. They were going to redeem themselves against the enemies. At least, that's what Christi thought during the second time-out. Somehow, Sweden came back with a vengeance.  Neutral, my ass. Those women were determined to bring back the winning title. 

And they almost did. The game went from 5-1 to 5-4. It was down to two minutes. Christi was ready to go. She just needed to clinch one more goal or at least block them. The play began. The other forward kicked the ball toward her teammate. Unfortunately for her, the teammate was not there yet. Alexis, Christi and the two strikers from the other team ran for the ball. All four women collided with each other landing in a tangled heap on the field.

Then, there was an audible SNAP! Instantly, Christi winced in pain, holding back the cry. Christi tried to get up as the game continued. With every movement, the pain increased. She laid back down and stared at the sky. She watched the blue of the sky and the bright clouds that had promised so much. Christi knew this would be her last time on the field. She was going to spend it on the ground looking up.