Turning a New Leaf

If Christi thought that Danny was kidding, he was not. From that day forward, he stopped at least once every two days if not everyday. He never missed a PT appointment. The two men got along quite well after Adrian mentioned his boyfriend Kai. Adrian had even adopted him as his "little helper".  Danny was worse than Cole and Amelia combined. Hearing him spout out her pain medicine dosage and check whether the pillow was fluffed enough was driving her crazy. What was worse was that he asked her everyday if she was ready to go out. Everyday, she said no. That didn't stop him from asking before he eventually settled in to sit beside her. 

"So what are we watching today?" asked Danny as he sat on the couch with her. 

"How did you get in?" asked Christi as she turned to her couch companion. 

Danny shrugged his shoulders as he took out a key. "Through the door. How else?"

Christi threw her hand over her face in horror. "How did you convince Amelia to give you a key?"

"Well, she has noticed how much I've been taking care of you. So, she thought it would be easier if I had easy access."  He waggled his eyebrows. 

"Are you supposed to waggle your eyebrows? I thought that was too low brow for you."

Danny huffed as he threw his arm around her shoulder. "What makes you think I had etiquette lessons? I mean, you're always joking about it, but really?"

"Well, you know the Ashburys. So. . . "

"Even Cole doesn't hold that against me." 

"Well . . ."  Christi let the sentence trail off as she flipped through the channels. 

"You know you never told me why you broke up with me." Christi cut off the TV and threw down the remote on the table. 

"You broke up with me."

Danny sat up and turned to face Christi. 

"You broke up with me if I remember correctly. You said that you saw me with some other girl. I explained to you that I was just taking a break from a study group. You stormed out and left."

Christi tried to turn quickly, but realized that effort was needed just to move. So she turned around slowly, but it wasn't going to take any of the dramatics out of the move. 

"I only left because it was obvious that you had moved on. Study group, my ass! The girl was obviously flirting with you."

"Even if she was, I was with you. You know that." Danny tried to scoot closer to her, but Christi was on a roll. With Andrew, she had held back her feelings, but this time, she wouldn't. She was tired of being unheard. 

"Well, I was the only one who knew. We were together three months. We never told anyone. I was like the dirty secret. Then, this prissy preppy little know-it-all is all over you in front of everybody. So yeah, I lost it. I was tired of being hidden because I wasn't good enough," she yelled back. The last two words echoed through the quiet house. 

Danny's eyes narrowed as he looked at Christi. If she hadn't known him for years, she would be afraid. But she did know him. He would never hurt her. 

Danny leaned over her and kissed her. His lips felt soft against her own. She knew his hands locked her in her place on the couch, but she didn't care. She missed his kisses. Danny had always been aggressive and take-charge in his kisses. It was the only time Christi let go. She did now. She let his tongue guide her as the heat ignited in her body. She sighed as desire grew in her body. She grabbed his head and pulled him closer. She needed  . . . more. She needed him. He responded in kind, but pushing her down on the couch. 

He pulled back to take a breath, but paused to look at her. Christi always thought that Andrew showed her his love, but the look in Danny's eyes was different. It was genuine. He looked as if he were in a trance. She had made him that way. She never felt so powerful. She licked her lips in anticipation for what he would do. 

Danny groaned. She was beautiful. Her blonde hair was scattered on the bright blue couch. With a flushed face and swollen lips, she looked thoroughly kissed. Better yet, she looked like a temptress ready to bring down her prey.  He wished that he could take a picture of her to keep forever. 

"Christiana Delafield, never doubt your beauty. Or your worth to me or anyone else. I was never ashamed of you. If you could see what I am seeing, you would see it." He sighed as he brought up his own insecurities. 

"Sweetheart, I only didn't tell anyone because I thought you weren't ready. You were a freshman and I was a senior. If anything I thought you were playing around with me. You were one of the top recruits for the women's soccer team. People seemed to gravitate toward you. I was sure that I was one in the line of many more.  Not to mention, I found out your brother was my roommate and would have killed me. None of that had to do with you. I was . . ." 

Danny almost said he loved her right then and there, but he didn't want to throw everything on her at once. They needed to process their past in order to prepare for their future. If she was stuck on fixing their past, she wouldn't see all they could be now. 

Luckily, Christi seemed to be focused on the beginning of his speech. 

"So you weren't embarrassed?"

"Goodness no."

"And you didn't want one of those preppy business type of go-getters. Even though that's what your parents want for you."

Danny froze. "Why would you say that?"

"Cole told me. He says your parents are always fixing you up with women with connections. Despite what people think, I am not a woman with connections."

"Sweetie, I don't need connections. I am the connection. If anything, people need me. If I date someone, it will not be treated like a business deal. Now, are we clear?"

Christi nodded. Danny smiled quickly in response. 

"Good. Now, let's practice our making up skills." He leaned over her and resumed their kissing. Well, Christi had no complaints as she pulled his head closer to her own.